Sourcing Marine Grade Plywood

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Mahaska

Sourcing Marine Grade Plywood

Post by Mahaska »

Hello All!

I'm in need of help and advice here. For a few weeks now I've been gathering tools and materials for my first boat project, a Squirt.
Finding the proper plywood is proving to be quite difficult in my area.

I have seen "marine grade" plywood listed on home depot, lowe's, menard's websites. But reading the reviews for these products makes me very hesitant to choose this option. I have also seen a few websites that look specifically dedicated to marine grade ply, and 2 of them have not responded to my request for a price quote. The one that did - they want about 800 bucks for 5 sheets of 1/4 and one sheet of 3/4. That includes shipping.
Is that a reasonable price?

I'm located in Davenport, Iowa. That's in the Quad Cities, the border of Illinois and Iowa.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts - Ryan

Bill Edmundson

Re: Sourcing Marine Grade Plywood

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Homestead in Ohio.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Try world panel.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That's actually not that crazy of a price considering they would have to ship freight. Based on what I paid for my plywood it sounds like you'd be paying about $300 or so for shipping. They can't just throw it on a UPS truck. Plus it would have to be packaged somehow.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

LL Johnson in Indiana or Michigan.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TAB

Post by TAB »

Shipping is expensive. Do you know any small business owners that have a "dock" ( raise platform where a truck can back up too) often shipping to those locations can cut the shipping cost in half.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Mine was shipped to the local truck terminal. That saved enough to rent a truck to go pick it up. I have a bad hill and driveway that they would never have gotten up. I had really messed my shoulder up. I did manage to unload a sheet at a time. The physical therapist went nuts when I told her!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

I got my lumber for my last build at LL Johnson in Northern Indiana at about 90/sheet for BS1088 6mm, great stuff. So your 5 sheets of 6mm and 1 sheet of 18mm at their current price is 646. So your shipping is about $154 but not accounting for tax on the lumber. For freight shipping thats spot on to what I experienced the one time I freight shipped similar size and weight.

Either way you are getting a fair deal I think. Go with the good material however you get it.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”