Can I use 1/4" (6mm) Plywood on the hull? - Tahoe 23

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

themikep87

Can I use 1/4" (6mm) Plywood on the hull? - Tahoe 23

Post by themikep87 »

Hello!

Can I use 1/4 Plywood in place of 1/8 plywood on the hull of a Tahoe?

Same # of layers, just different thickness?

Thanks!

neel thompson

Re: Can I use 1/4" (6mm) Plywood on the hull? - Tahoe 23

Post by neel thompson »

I used two layers of 6mm (1/4") Okoume plywood on both my Gentry and Palm Beach 22 builds. It should also work on the Tahoe. That way everything on the hull will be the same thickness in the end. Obviously it won't bend and twist as easily as 1/8" but it worked for me. As you get towards the bow and stern, some pieces get fairly narrow so they follow the hull shape. My Gentry called for three layers of 1/8", but doing two layers instead of three made sense to me. Best of luck with your build... Neel

TomB

Post by TomB »

The 1/4" would be difficult to be into a fair shape at the bow but would be possible. The question to the question is why? The largest gap spanned by plywood is only 5" x 24" and 3/8" to 1/2" total plywood thickness is plenty strong for that purpose. It seems like doubling thickness would only add weight without adding useful strength. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

themikep87

Post by themikep87 »

Thank you both for your replies.

The reason I'm looking into 1/4 vs 1/8 is because I am having a hard time sourcing 1/8 exterior grade mahogany in Ontario. After reading Neel's suggestion, 2 layers instead of 3 seems to be the way to go.

If anyone has suggestions for where I can find this material in Ontario, please let me know,

Thanks!

Return to “Wood and Plywood”