Riviera stringers

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Idigplanes

Riviera stringers

Post by Idigplanes »

Hi all. I am having a hard time finding quarter sawn Doug fir or white oak for my riviera stringers. What other options might I be able to use and/or get my hands on here in southwest indiana?

TomB

Re: Riviera stringers

Post by TomB »

Quarter sawn is the gold standard. How about laminating two layers of plain sawn layed up with opposing grain pattern to get the stability without the sourcing trouble?

https://www.maleyandwertz.com/lumber ???
Tom
Last edited by TomB on Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

TAB

Post by TAB »

Any decent hardwood dealer will be able to get quater sawn, you will not like the prices but shoyld be np

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

It shouldn't be hard to get white oak in Indiana. There is a ton of it here. I know of at least two good sources up my way.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Idigplanes

Post by Idigplanes »

I’ve checked around and haven’t found any. I was not aware that laminating flat sawn would achieve the same affect as quartersawn. Maley and wertz didn’t have any.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

laminating two thicknesses should make for a stronger timber than one solid piece.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Idigplanes

Post by Idigplanes »

Ok so I’ve got enough q sawn white oak to make my stringers with. I will have to scarf to achieve the length and laminate (2 lams) for thickness. Is there a special process to follow? Glue and clamp? Mechanical fasteners? Special epoxy? Being such an integral component of my build, I’m a bit nervous. Thanks guys.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

If you are laminating two pieces to make full thickness, I would stagger the the joints a couple of feet, Poxy Grip them and call it good. You could even lay out the joints in the motor stringers to land on a frame instead free floating between two frames. Use mechanical fasteners if you want to as long as they don’t interfere with engine mounts.
Matt B

TomB

Post by TomB »

White oak tends to burnish in the saw/planer. Sand the surfaces to be joined with 80 grit and wipe with alcohol. There will be a pair of fasteners every 24" at frame to stringer connections. Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

For sure rough up gluing surfaces on white oak. I used 4/4 white oak sandwiched between 3/8" Okoume. Oak was roughed up and epoxied with SB screws to locate pieces and ring shank nails every 12". My stringers have been rock solid for over 6 years.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Return to “Wood and Plywood”