Barrelback plans help?

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Nigeb22

Barrelback plans help?

Post by Nigeb22 »

Hello

Boycie from Portugal and the early stages of making up the frames but looking ahead as I need to buy some wood
and if Brexit means anything to you then its a real pain to import from the UK right now whilst they work out import duty
customs which is not what Boris told us was happening... rant over.

Im looking at the covering board on the plans and its a bit confusing Im cutting in at the top corners of each frame a 10mm inset for the covering board
the plans exploded picture shows the detail but indicated ` 3/4inch covering board but shows half that so 3/8ths with 3 layers of laminated plywood under?
does this ¾ s refer to the total depth including the ply?
I need to order up the wood and cant see why the ply underneath as I see one way the plans indicate to do this is to use mahogany strips 20mm x 20mm
or ¾ square sorry and then laminate the covering board front to back, that seems a good way especially as I liked the finished result.

So why the ply? is this cost saving? and it seems unsupported between the frames and as it takes the weight of a person entering the boat seems like
it should have more supports in-between..
Can anyone help me here to tell me how this should be done?

many thanks I appreciate your comments even if its doh!
cheers
NigeB
Boycies Barrelback on YouTube
Attachments
IMG_7711.jpeg
IMG_7709.jpeg

Jimbob

Re: Barrelback plans help?

Post by Jimbob »

The plans are a but confusing. These pictures of my build might help. I didn't use any plywood, I used mahogany for any fillers. Keep in mind that you will want enough material for the final shaping to follow the curve of the boat. Plan on putting your rub rail to cover the seam between the hull and the coverboards. The only tricky part on the coverboards is at the stern of the boat. You will need extra thickness on the coverboard at the stern area for shaping. I used two layers of 4/4 mahogany at the stern. I would suggest going with one thicker piece rather than the two like I did. See pics below:
Jim
Attachments
I cut a notch for the cover board.  You can see the blocking at the next frame toward the bow.
I cut a notch for the cover board. You can see the blocking at the next frame toward the bow.
The first layer in place.
The first layer in place.
The second layer in place ready to be shaped
The second layer in place ready to be shaped
Last edited by Jimbob on Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Here is what the final shaping of the stern area looks like.
Jim
Attachments
The final shaping of the coverboard
The final shaping of the coverboard
Jim Neeley

Nigeb22

Post by Nigeb22 »

Jimbob,

Many thanks for the photos they explain a lot
I think I understand now what to do which is buy a lot more mahogany
I have already got the top covering board of 19mm x 19mm mahogany strips which I would like to glue
to the base layer as you describe as I can make one continuous strip front to back which I think will look really good
I need to cut deeper into the frames to put a supporting board in .

Thank you boat looks good love the tyres idea to flip the boat did you all lift the boat to keep the weight off the gunwale
till it was on its rollers?

cheers
NigeB

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Thank you boat looks good love the tyres idea to flip the boat did you all lift the boat to keep the weight off the gunwale
till it was on its rollers?
Thanks! No problem in just rolling the boat over onto the tires. I would stick to the plans and not cut the notches any deeper until you get there in your build. The only area that I cut was in the transom.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Return to “Wood and Plywood”