Keruing Plywood

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Stuart

Keruing Plywood

Post by Stuart » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm looking at Marine 1088, 9mm, 7ply Keruing plywood $111/sheet delivered. This is about 3 sheets for the cabin top and sides. It will be painted offwhite. Anyone have experience with it?

Stuart

Dave Grason

Re: Keruing Plywood

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:11 pm

I personally have never heard of that particular wood. However, if it's British Standard (BS) 1088, for marine use, I'd say go for it. For a cabin top and sides, you're not having to put any kind of severe bends in it so even if it wasn't a very good wood in other uses, it might serve you very well here.

Just thinking......... 8)
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Ron Filsell

Post by Ron Filsell » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:07 am

Keruing plywood is used in Australia as a non appearence bracing material, and its my choice for drawer bottoms because its bloody hard to bend, even at 4mm. If you attempt to bend thicker material it will need to be a gentle bend. Keruing has a stress grading of F27 compared with say Gaboon at F 8 - F11. It has a long fiberous grain, splinters easily when cut, feels greasy to the touch but seems to accept paint and of course its heavy.
Hope this helps.
Regards Ron. :wink:

Stuart

Post by Stuart » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:16 pm

Ok, many thanks for the replys. It will add about 60lbs to cabin top but its reported to be very strong. Unfortunately, I have decided to go with Gaboon for the cabin top and sides mainly because they are out of the water, light weight and I am covering it with fiberglass and some veneer which should give it enough strength. The Keruing might not bend to the same extent that I can gently encourage the Gaboon. The problem was the Gaboon from my source is only 5 ply and it's not 1088 although it is marine grade.

Stuart

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Something that may or may not interest you is that some of the Cajun boys down south have been using medium density pvc foam then encapsulate with glass to build cabins for some time now. 1 it cuts down on weight and 2 it will insulate your cabin. I've never used it myself, but I have seen it on some lafitte skiffs in LA. They built the cabin with the foam, glass it, and then come back and cut the winders holes. It made a lot of since to me at the time, but again, I've never done it.

MikeM

Post by MikeM » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 am

Never herd of Keruing ply, but in the UK it is used as a rough timber for outside (decking and gates etc). I have a couple of pieces in the garage. It is a heave and very hard timber, also difficult to work without power tools as the grain can be quite wild and tends to tear when planing.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”