Off-beat boat wood question (Cherry)

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Rob Myran

Off-beat boat wood question (Cherry)

Post by Rob Myran »

Last night's storm brought a big cherry tree down in my side yard. It came down on top of my P-21 boat trailer - luckily only the brushy end and no damage. Whew!

So, I am trying to make use of a windfall:

I am wondering about using the wood for the frame on a skin-on-frame kayak. There certainly is the length in the trunk for any size. I would expect to epoxy varnish the wood frame, and the whole thing would be covered with painted 1000 denier ballistic nylon.

Does anyone have thoughts on the rot resistance of the cherry in this application and method?

Second consideration on strip building using this material. Again, it would be encapsulated with epoxy, and in this case fiberglass. Thoughts?
Another fine mess I've gotten myself into!

Oyster

Re: Off-beat boat wood question (Cherry)

Post by Oyster »

We use a fair amount of cherry for interiors in yachts. I have never used it for framing though. Getting clear stuff of any length has also been a real problem. We have even made floor enlays for cabins and companionways, gluing it down to plywood backing boards.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

your cherry would have to be dryed before you could even used
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

billy c

Post by billy c »

Rob Myran wrote: Does anyone have thoughts on the rot resistance of the cherry in this application and method?

Second consideration on strip building using this material. Again, it would be encapsulated with epoxy, and in this case fiberglass. Thoughts?
no problem strip building re rot and a decorative element (color) as it is encapsulated in epoxy and cloth, but would be far down on my list as the primary wood on the strip building a small craft like a kayak because of weight.
heartwood is beautiful for furniture though!
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Wood and Plywood”