Meranti/white cedar??

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

svenole

Meranti/white cedar??

Post by svenole » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:20 pm

i would like to leave the Meranti clear and i was going to use white cedar for my deck.do you think that would look :?: :arrow: OK? anyone else do that? :)

harpoonhedd

Re: Meranti/white cedar??

Post by harpoonhedd » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:44 am

meranti is a very dense wood that is used for many exterior uses...especially in Europe...doors, windows etc, and it is left natural...it does require a good penetrating oil base w/ a varnish cover coating...the white cedar is beautiful, but might not be dense enough to make for a good glue bond. Cedar is not a decidious tree(hardwood)and would react much differently to stress and temperature.Couple that with the fact that Meranti is extremely on the other end of the spectrum for density, probably another choice would be better...

ash,maple,white oak or even holly would be good...however I still have some reservations about using Meranti with anything other than Meranti...I have made a lot of doors and windows from it. And it was a finnicky wood...similar to a lot of other tropical woods out there...there is a reason that mahogany and teak have been used so much for the darker wood of a combo ...with ash as a solid accent ...they glue up well...and can last...I have made tiller sticks from the Mahog/ash combo that have stood up to a lot of stress and weather.

I have never done it or heard of it either...but maybe a deck w/ meranti that is caulked would be good...others here would possibly have a better idea. I have tried using lots of left overs from projects and been dissapointed with results in marine situations...(tropicals) I do know that meranti does require a solid glazed finish to hold properly, and would probably not be good for a deck surface outside (slippery)

I built some benches for a friend on his center console from some tropical hardwood he had leftover from a project...they only lasted a year before they came apart, the wood was too dense to handle the sunlight of being on the water, and the vibrations caused the joints to give...JMHO...hope this helped.

ted...artist/woodworker
chincoteague island,virginia

http://harpoonheddgallery.shutterfly.com/

svenole

Post by svenole » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:29 am

im useing meranti for my planking and i was wondering if white cedars colour would look OK for my deck.thank uou

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:15 am

I am using Honduras mahogany on my deck with Atlantic white cedar striping. Its my understanding that the white cedar will not darken if it gets wet. I plan on sealing it properly but you never know what will happen. I think it will look great and I think yours will also look great.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

svenole

Post by svenole » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:29 pm

thanks.i was going to plank it with cedar vener 1/8 inch thick but the meranti looks great,so why not just leave it :!: clear and ill use my white cedar for the deck and trim.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”