Audeen wood materials for a novice Aussie Brisbanite!

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

pebs85

Audeen wood materials for a novice Aussie Brisbanite!

Post by pebs85 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:37 am

Hi guys,

i have purchased my plans for the Audeen and received them in the mail..
bought a few books from the site... and now i am ready to start the purchasing of wood...

Please help me interpret these directions!

Iv been scanning through the old topics and seen that a few of the people from Aus (not any particular build of boat mind u)
have been using hoop pine for the frames. i get the length/width/height numbers, etc ...

When looking at the Bill of Materials....

ITEM MATERIAL SIZE
Frames Mahogany or Oak 75 Bd. Ft. of random 1" stock
Transom and Frame Gussets Douglas Fir Plywood 1/4" x 48" x 96" (1 piece)
Stem and Breaksthook Douglas Fir Plywood 3/4" x 48" x 96" (1 piece)

What the heck is 75 bd. ft. of random 1"stock?

My idea was to use Hoop Pine for the frames... as well as anything else that said Oak or Mahogany on the bill of materials...
and marine ply for anything that requires ply.. Is this completely wrong?

I apologise for the naivety i am portraying here.... but im completely lost

Thanks in advance

woodenaye

Re: Audeen wood materials for a novice Aussie Brisbanite!

Post by woodenaye » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:22 pm

I'm with you pebs85.

Figured I would forgo attempting to convert everything to metric, just build in feet and inches.
However, some of the terminologys used here are also confusing.
Does buying timber in random lots mean that you could end up with a lot of unsuitable lengths?
Also does ' 1'' random stock ' also denote that the thickness may not be true 1'' ? -
ie; would it have to be planed to correct thickness?

C'mon Aussies - metric the world now! :wink:
Michael

You can't make strawberry jam (jelly) out of pigs%#t.

pebs85

Post by pebs85 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:55 am

Another thing....
I spoke this a south African called Eric today who has built a few boats in the past...

He reckons hoop pine is too heavy and that ita better to use something that grows quick and is strong so as to get the right strength to weight density....

He suggested Philippine mahogany or honduras mahogany for the frames cause they are super strong but not crazy heavy....

Boatcraft sell hoop pine... But I'm a bit confused as to metric conversions
And also just wondering if Eric was off his face in sayin hoop pine won't be suitable
Especially considering so many other Aussies have used this material

Hmmm....

If I use these mahogany bits as opposed to hoop pine
Can I just get it from the local timber place...
And does it need to be specially treated seeing as it's to be exposed to water
Or am I to just expect these types of wood are already treated for this kind of use??

So confused!!

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:34 am

Yep, random is random, so a certain percentage may not suit. However, if you order specific sizes you will pay more anyway just in handling charges so probably ahead buying random, especially considering you will likely use it for other bits of the boat or other boats. You can order random lengths, but also specify that you need at least x lengths at x minimum length. Widths are random, but as you will rip the 1" thickness into appropriate widths that is not usually a problem. A board foot is a piece of wood measuring 1 inch thick, 12 inches wide, and 12 inches long, so if the timber you bought was all 12" wide then you would want 75 feet of it for Audeen. Unfortunately 12" is hard to get from a log and so at a premium, so if you order all 12" boards you will broke pretty quick. I worked it all out in Excell and ordered from there. Lazarides took my sheet and pulled boards from their stack to suit. Unfortunately in the rough state they could not see a bunch of borer holes that became obvious when I machined it but that is a risk you take buying rough timber... cost versus guranteed quality.

I chose to use Mahogany, got it from Lazarides timbers.

Hope that helps. Where are you on Brissy?
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:58 am

pebs85
I am not familar with the Audeen plans but the 'Bill of Materials" for the Monaco lists size and length for every member. I just converted this to the closest metric size. Most is 19mm thick, dressed. Sandgate Saw Mills came up with the best price and quality. About $1000 for all frame timber.
A little bit of research finds the density of hoop at 560kg/m3 whereas Philippine Mahogany as 520kg/m3 so there is little difference. Also with Hoop you are not destroying the forests as it is plantation grown and lengths are available up to 6m. For my two bobs worth I'd stick with Hoop.
ozzieboat

pebs85

Post by pebs85 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:10 am

Thanks so much for your help ozzie

Im on the Northside by the way...
So sandgate is not far at all!

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:44 am

I have heard of others using hoop so if thats readlily available it should be fine.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

pebs85

Post by pebs85 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Hey guys just anothr quick question about the bill of materials....

It says the 75. Bd. Ft. Plus the 2 pieces of Douglas fir ply... And then it says screws and then below that individually lists the keel and all other pieces lengths....
Is that extra wood to purchase or does that come out of my 75. Bd. Bits that I purchased first? And if not... What does this 75. Bd. actually get used for?

Thanks again for all ur help

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:52 am

pebs85
You may be interested to know that there is an article on Hoop Pine in the current edition of "Australian Amateur Boatbuilder" #75, there is also an article on BS1088 Gaboon/Okoume Marine Plywood.
ozzieboat

Nickthw

Post by Nickthw » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:16 pm

Very happy I found this thread! I am looking at ordering the Audeen plans shortly so am looking over the bill of materials and stumbled at the "75 bd. ft of random 1" stock"

Can you please let me know what was required for the frames?

I am also looking into the timber selections. I have been suggested to use joiners Oregon for all non-ply parts. Do you see any issues with this? Any timber need to be good for steaming or anything like that?

Cheers!

Return to “Wood and Plywood”