Termites

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BobL

Termites

Post by BobL » Tue May 02, 2006 2:42 am

Today I met a guy who seems to know a lot about wood. When I told him that I was building a trawler during weekends and expecting to take many years to complete.

My heart shaken after talking to him as he was talking about the danger of termite attack on plywood. He is certain that the termites would eat up my boat before I could launch her.

I know termite is a bigger problem in the tropics than in colder places. I hope to get opinion from builders in this forum.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Bob

If your boss is driving you nuts, build a boat.
Growing older is mandatory, getting wiser is optional.

tim20

Post by tim20 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:46 am

What type of termite? Sub-terranean have to build mud tunnels up to the structure and travel via them to get back to the ground for water. As long as the wood is not in direct contact with the ground I think you have little to worry about from this type.

Drywood termites don't need to enter the ground and just live in the wood, but are less common.

How bad is termite infestation in wooden structures in your area?

BobL

Post by BobL » Tue May 02, 2006 10:21 pm

I have found some hollow ceiling beams (termite attack) in my shop. Once in a while, mud tunnels too. I plan to spray some insecticide to where ever I can in this coming weekend.
Last edited by BobL on Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Bob

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen » Wed May 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Bob, here's someone to talk to........and then some..............

http://www.mycen.com.my/search/pest_control.html

Good luck to ya. We in the south of the U.S.A. have to watch out for the same, termites! Here in Florida, I've repaired many-ah-walls becouse of those pest. :shock:
One day.

ET

Termites eating your boat?

Post by ET » Thu May 04, 2006 9:56 am

Sounds like the guy that knows a lot about wood is also one of those guys that has a book of reasons why you should not pursue your dreams and perhaps he is going to find fault with any project that you take on. In my opinion, the chances of termites eating your boat before it is launched is so incredibly remote that it's entertaining. It's my understanding that at any rate, these termitees do not like glue which is in plywood. Also, I assume that you will be encapsulating. These boat projects are well enough off the ground which also dramatically reduces chances of termite infestation. I gotta tall ya....I live in Flroida where termites are an issue and I have built several boats without any problems. I hope you continue your project and enjoy it.

BobL

Post by BobL » Thu May 04, 2006 7:06 pm

Thank you ET.
Regards,
Bob

BobL

Post by BobL » Thu May 04, 2006 7:10 pm

John,

Thank you for finding someones just at my doorstep.
Regards,
Bob

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:14 pm

I wouldn't actually worry about termites ruining a boat until I saw them wearing like little bitty lifevests.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jeff pierce

Post by jeff pierce » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:04 pm

BobL wrote: I plan to spray some incesticide to where ever I can in this coming weekend.
Er...incesticide? They have a product for everything nowadays! I suppose its just as well, you wouldn't want any of that going on in the shop either.

...sorry, I just couldn't resist.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:27 am

That's a product you won't find in Alabama.

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:51 am

Yep! We're all cousins here! :shock:
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenifer

Re: Termites

Post by jenifer » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:33 am

Hello..
I have used some termite control products like Drywood Termites, Subterranean Termites, Formosan Termites...,
But I am not satisfied by this control products.., so please anyone suggests me some best treatments for termite control..?

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:20 pm

:roll: I wonder if "Bug Juice" mixed with your paint ,would help-at Ozark log cabin supply. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

soly10

Post by soly10 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 am

Hi,

I am looking for the best termite control professionals because I am facing termite problem in my office. So please suggest me some best termite treatment professionals in Sydney.

Thank You.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”