Scarfing jig

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Dale K.

Scarfing jig

Post by Dale K. »

I have never done any scarfing. Of the two builds that I have done that required longer than 8' pieces, I used butt blocks. They, of course, leave flat spots. I have seen various techniques and various jigs used to make the scarf joints. Some seemed better than others. I came across one the other day that I believe may be the simplest and most efficient one yet for the amateur builder. The jig is very easy to make and requires a router. The results seem very predictable. Here is the link to a series of photos as part of a lapstrake built Ian Oughtred Guillemot:

http://www.gilesfamily.id.au/Navigator/ScarfingJig.htm

Be sure and take the time to look at all the other photos. Nick built a very nice boat. He has also built a Welsford Navigator. Both were very nice builds.
Last edited by Dale K. on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjw

Re: Scarfing jig

Post by rjw »

Thanks for the link.

I've thought of that same basic technique, but with the two boards/planks to be scarfed lain side to side and cut simultaneously.

I don't know if that would help or not.

v-driver

Post by v-driver »

Yet another way, one that I used with a similar router jig, is to stack the two pieces to be joined with the scarf. Stagger the upper plank back about (slightly less than) the linear distance of the planned scarf (length b-c in the image) and cut both planks at the same time. Because you can align the length of the planks, it permits perfectly aligned scarf angles.

Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week at the Cracker Barrel out on I-40."

kens

Post by kens »

I used a router for all my scarfs, both lumber , and, plywood.
There is links to my setup in my Double Eagle build.
If scarfing ply with the router then the Raptor brads would be a big help.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) I have been planning to building a similar scarfing jig for my router but on larger scale large enough to do full sheets of plywood once I get it built I will post it on forum in tools section :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

lakeracer69

Post by lakeracer69 »

Something like this? Here's what I made.
Attachments
IMG_0081.JPG
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

Dale K.

Post by Dale K. »

lakeracer69 wrote:Something like this? Here's what I made.
I like it. Now I feel like going out and making some scarfs!

Paul Kinneberg

Post by Paul Kinneberg »

lakeracer69 looks nice, simple, and straight forward how did it work? Any chance you can post a couple pics of a joint in process and completed? I am looking to do this on my CS build any where butt blocks would show. I am looking for a cleaner look on the finished boat. Thanks Paul

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

I like the simple design what i have in mind is based on a panel saw but seeing what you built looks good and should work
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

lakeracer69

Post by lakeracer69 »

Have one that uses a circular saw too. Have to look for the pics.

The router one will put a 12" scarf on 1/4" plywood. Yes you heard right. I posted this a number of years ago here.
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

Dale K.

Post by Dale K. »

lakeracer69 wrote:The router one will put a 12" scarf on 1/4" plywood. Yes you heard right. I posted this a number of years ago here.
12" sounds a little like overkill. I suppose there might be a time when that would be needed. Isn't the standard an 8:1 scarf? That would be 2" with 1/4" plywood.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”