Boat On Trailer

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

cusoak

Boat On Trailer

Post by cusoak » Sun May 12, 2013 4:25 am

I am planning on moving the Zip to her new home a Seneca Lake Ohio. Next week. To beworked on over the summer to make ready for the Sept gathering.
So yesterday we put her on the not quite done trailer.
Still need to finish painting the trailer but that is last.
Firts great.
About how much toung weight do you think I need to keep trailer from swaying when towing.
Jeff
Attachments
Trailer 2.jpg
Trailer.jpg
hoist.jpg

cusoak

Re: Boat On Trailer

Post by cusoak » Sun May 12, 2013 4:34 am

Hoisted up the boat with chain hoist and pushed trailer under it.
Put wrong pic of trailer.
Jeff
Attachments
On trailer.jpg
On trailer.jpg (78.01 KiB) Viewed 3258 times
boat trailer.jpg

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Sun May 12, 2013 6:51 am

A somewhat contentious subject that. General consensus likely +/- 10% of total weight of trailer/boat/motor. Lookin good.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

jbrandt

Post by jbrandt » Sun May 12, 2013 7:30 pm

Looks great - good job! Over the past 20 years I have trailered 13 boats and countless boat and landscaping trailers of all kinds. I would say that in my experience you should have no more than 200-300 pounds of tongue weight unless your boat is more then 3500 pounds. If a smaller single axle trailer is used, plan on maybe 100 - 150 lbs of tongue weight. you can get away with more tongue weight if you have a rig that can tow it. The higher percentage of tongue weight to vehicle weight you have, the more weight you will take off the front axle, therefore reducing the front suspension and steering control you have. If you are trailering with a one ton vehicle, then you can get away with maybe 400-500 lbs tongue weight. Other than that, or with a single axle trailer, keep the tongue weight to a minimum for safety.
Jerry

cusoak

Post by cusoak » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:55 am

I have trailered my zip a couple of times in the past few days and what I have noticed is that because it has suck a flat bottom it will move on the trailer to one side or the other.
Anybody else had this problem.
Jeff

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:53 am

I have the tie down straps in the back at about 45 deg. angles. That seems to keep the boat centered just fine. Also, I recommend using a transom saver support on the motor, if you aren't already using one.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:37 am

Same here. I use two ratchet straps on the back but just going straight down. I use a transom saver as well.

My problem is my steering is so smooth the motor wants to turn with the bumps so I also have to tie my steering wheel so it cant turn.

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:57 am

Glen-L's book on making trailers states that a trailer should be loaded so that one (1) person can move the trailer around by hand without any difficulty. I load my stuff with 100 pounds trailer weight and I never have any wagging.

Bill
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Return to “Wood and Plywood”