Is the Malahini made for the sea?

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bruzual

Re: Is the Malahini made for the sea?

Post by Bruzual » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:58 am

Well i want to think the same thing, that the extra 6 should not be much of a issue...... moreover since were talking about extension how do u go about this stretch, ?........ re-spacing from what number frame to transom and in what increments, or does the plans say how to ?........ And i see it can use a inboard with outdrive as well so which outdrive and engine would be best to install ?
Knowledge is power, Truth is progressive & life is eternal.

captkirk

Post by captkirk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:18 am

I believe that you would accomplish the lengthening by equally re-spacing all of the frames along the entire length of the boat.

I used outboard power because that is what I happened to already have and it is far simpler to rig, maintain and replace. Plus you don't lose the cockpit space.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Bruzual

Post by Bruzual » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:27 pm

well this is what it says on glen-l site about the extention.."Can the hull be extended or shortened? Yes. Up to 10% by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount. "......now my question is since am new to boat building, where is the aft end of the stern? and what would be this proportional amount?
Knowledge is power, Truth is progressive & life is eternal.

captkirk

Post by captkirk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:04 pm

I think "aft end of the stem" refers to all frames located behind the stem. The stem is the structural member that forms the shape of the bow and is bolted to the keel. The frames are setout equidistant on the building form at intervals as set out in the plans (I don't have the Geronimo plans in front of me). I would take the total amount you wish to extend in inches, divide by the number of frames and add it to the frame spacing already set out in the plans.

Kirk

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Capt Kirk, I too am building the Geronimo and picked the design because I plan on going outside the harbor (San Diego) occasionally. I enjoyed looking at your photos when I was deciding on the design I wanted.
I've got the frame built (frames, keel, chine, sheer & transom) and now am fairing it - haven't gotten any plywood for sheathing yet. I'll be using 8' lengths of ply because 10' isn't available. I have a couple questions about your build regarding the sheathing.
What length plywood did you have? Since it's a little over 16' I figure there'll have to be three pieces (thus two joints) for the sides, using 8' length ply. At what points on the sides did you place your joints? What kind of joints did you make (e.g., scarf, butt)? Thanks for any info you can share with me. Bob in Poway CA..
Attachments
runabout 024.jpg
Bob

hdunk

Post by hdunk » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:46 pm

If I remember right some where Gail posted that as long as you haven't marked up a set of plans you can trade them in on another boat.. You might want to check with Gail at Glen-L. I'm sure someone will post if I am not correct this is a great group.
Getting ready to start a Titan,

Welcome home our military...
USAF Retired.

jprice

Post by jprice » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:03 am

bobinpowayca wrote:At what points on the sides did you place your joints? What kind of joints did you make (e.g., scarf, butt)? Thanks for any info you can share with me. Bob in Poway CA..
Bob, I'm building the Celerity, extended to 16'. When I did the sheathing, I started at the stem, and went back 8' from there. That got me back to a spot where the seam ended up at an area with minimal bend. Then the second seam ended up about a foot or so from the transom, which was not a problem, since it's straight there.
Although the Geronimo has more frames than mine, so I'm not sure if 8' will end up on or near that second frame. If it is close to that then you'd be forced to use a scarf joint. Otherwise, either butt or scarf should work fine.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:09 am

hdunk,

We do have a 30-day return policy...

theGreek

Post by theGreek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07 am

sorry for posting now but i just wanted to clarify something for the malahini. at the moment i ve built all the frames and stem and fastened the keel. i took your suggestions into consideration and decided to move on with it. now my question is. is it going to be dangerous to ride in waves on the sea? is it just about the ride comfort? or is it about the strength of the boat? i could potentially make a larger v on the malahini but i dont want to change the design.
i ve also added some photos of my progress :) the wood is iroko and the plywood is marine okoume
thank you all for your replies.

regards

konstantinos
Attachments
tmp_IMAG1021-1162528204.jpg
tmp_IMAG10201658285228.jpg

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:17 am

I have a Malahini and have been out it 2-3' swells on a large lake...it is very uncomfortable. I would say to leave it in the comfort of the captain...but for me anything over about 8"-10" chop is quite uncomfortable.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

theGreek

Post by theGreek » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:11 am

Thank you very much for the reply. How about its strength (design wise) with 10mm bottom and 6mm side planking?
Is it strong enough to withstand any unforeseen events?

Regards

Konstantinos

jeffh

Post by jeffh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:55 am

I agree with Bill. It will be VERY uncomfortable and you'll be VERY wet. As a Malahini owner, I would be afraid in the ocean if it were me.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:51 pm

I have to agree with the guy's my Malahini does not like the big waves :D no matter how strong you build it the flat bottom coming down on a wave can be quite scary and you even start to doubt if the boat you built will stay together "not nice"

theGreek

Post by theGreek » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:28 am

:lol:

Nice one! Ok. Thank you very much for all the info. So my conclusion is that I will just watch out for a clear and calm day to go for a ride.

So i guess 6-8 ft wave height is the maximum.

Thank you all

Konstantinos

jprice

Post by jprice » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:36 am

I don't have any experience with a malahini, but i can say from experience being out on the ocean, that you don't want to be in 6-8 ft waves in a boat that small. Brutal wouldn't begin to describe it, not to mention the risk of getting swamped or capsizing. :shock:

Return to “Wood and Plywood”