CNC router frame kits

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

marty

CNC router frame kits

Post by marty »

Is there a company or person that could Take Glen-L plans and cnc cut all the frame members/pieces?
Has anyone ever tried this?
Thanks

John B

Re: CNC router frame kits

Post by John B »

marty wrote:Is there a company or person that could Take Glen-L plans and cnc cut all the frame members/pieces?
Has anyone ever tried this?
Thanks
marty,

Please be aware that if you invest the money to have the plans converted to any digital format (such as cnc) once the pieces are cut the cnc program cannot be given away or sold, or even used again by you without paying a license fee (equal to the original cost of the plans & patterns) to Glen-L for each boat built from those plans & patterns, because this is copyrighted material and each set of plans comes with a license to build one boat only.

At Glen-L we have always tried to make it clear that we'd love for you to build as many of our designs as your heart desires, but each time you build one of our boats (even if it's multiple copies of the same boat) there is a license fee owed to Glen-L, whether or not you purchase additional sets of plans & patterns (so you might just as well order a second set of plans & patterns to have a spare set; same cost to you).

One of the reasons we have not gone to the tremendous expense of having any or all of our plans & patterns converted to any digital format is that of pirating. As you can imagine, the potential for unethical (or clueless) people to "share" (or sell) copies of our designs in digital format would be very great, and would put us out of business in a heartbeat.

Thank you all for understanding our policy about this, and why the policy is very necessary.

Best always,

John B
Glen-L Marine Designs
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

sands35

Post by sands35 »

Assuming copyright is respected....

There are plenty of firms out there that will sell CNC time. I was in conversations with a few at one point. Basically, I'd order the plywood and have it shipped to the CNC firm, then ship the finished frames to me.

However, most don't want to spend the time or have the expertise to provide the digital conversion. CAD time is somewhat more expensive per hour than machine time, and would probably take more hours of work.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Personally, I found that the framing was not that difficult to make and was a very fun and gratifying experience in the building process. I think most builders would rather invest their money in the motors and accesories for their boat instead of spending it on something they would most likely enjoy doing anyway. Unless a person wanted to mass produce a certain design or could digitize and produce the parts for the design themselves, it seems a waste of time and/or money.

JMHO,

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

cusoak

Post by cusoak »

I Have a friend that along with his father own a wood working co that sell high end tool and machinery along with all types of hard wood and marine plywood. I bought all of my mahogany wood from him to do my Zip.
He is currently building a replica of a 1930's boat.
He made all of the frames out of Masonite first, with digital design he did himself and cut them with a cnc machine.
Then installed them on a building plat form and checked. Install engine stringers to make sure everything was all right there.
Now came time to cut out the real ones. He needed 11 sheets of 3/4" thick marine plywood to get all the frames.
at a cost of $200. each. ouch
That a lot of money. that could be used for something else.
Not real cost effective for us on small boats. Even if you make your own wood patterns and then use them to flush trim the finish pieces you would not have to much money invested, which is what I did
Jeff

John B

Post by John B »

cusoak wrote:...He needed 11 sheets of 3/4" thick marine plywood to get all the frames.
at a cost of $200. each. ouch....
Jeff
Jeff, that's a lot of money to (actually) waste; it is never recommended to use any type of plywood for the frames of a boat. Your side and bottom planking are attached to the edges of the frames and plywood has almost zero structural integrity on its edges into which you would drive your screws to hold the planking to the frames....I would be very afraid to put a boat constructed in such a manner into the water. I don't see how the sides and bottom will stay attached to the frames.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting as to what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the result of the vote.

Ronb172

Post by Ronb172 »

The only ply on my little boat is the transom and the stem. Frames are mahogany.
Squirt almost ready to get wet
Building my third SUP.
Started the Topper build.

sands35

Post by sands35 »

For the frames - are you planning on cutting the entire frame out from one sheet? i.e., more or less like a U shape? If yes, there will be lots of waste.

Can you do a layout where the frame bottom and the frame side are separate and you glue them together with a lap joint or a doubler at the chine? (more or less like you would with hardwood)

I was under the impression that most of the holding power is from the glue? Any fasteners are just there to hold the wood on until the glue dries. Yes? You've got 2-4 layers of ply to lay down for a cold molded boat. All that glue should do something good. Yes, ply doesn't hold screws well at all on the edge.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”