Screws into IPE wood.

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Stuart

Screws into IPE wood.

Post by Stuart » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:05 pm

The main sheet attaches to a 4 x 4 IPE pedistal in the cockpit. The pad eye attaches to the top of it using four screws. The holes are 1/4" diameter. The top of the pedistal is the end grain. Normally the pad eye screws would use a pair of cross drilled grain dowls to grip the screws. But IPE is like Iron wood. I want to just drill 3" down using perhaps #10 stainless screws through the pad eye rather than setting dowls for cross grain. The pad eye is cast stainless about 1/4" steel loop. I think four number 10 screws 3" into the end grain of IPE would hold without cross grain dowls. Any thoughts?

Stuart

Bergy

Re: Screws into IPE wood.

Post by Bergy » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:12 pm

Stuart,
Based in the lack of response, I don't think Ipe has a future in marine applications. That said, I do have some experience with it for decking. First it is heavy. It doesn't burn. It can be buried in soil for years and not show any signs of rot. It checks like crazy if a wax sealer is not applied soon after cross cutting.
You MUST predrill for screws and use a thread lube to install them. I have attached photos of checking on an untreated 4X4 post and the drills that I use to predrill for #8 X 2 1/2" stainless finish screws. I would be leary of a main sheet secured to a pedestal. Watch out on your first accidental jibe!
Attachments
Tapered 5/32 drills for #8 screws
Tapered 5/32 drills for #8 screws
Checking on an unsealed 4X4 post.
Checking on an unsealed 4X4 post.
"It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."
Abraham Lincoln

Stuart

Re: Screws into IPE wood.

Post by Stuart » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks for reply. I used IPE for the carling and coaming. It was the only wood I could get that was long enough. The pedistal is according to the plans. It is blocked and screwed to the keel and blocked and screwed above to the cockpit floor. It would take tons of force to make it show any strain. I suspect you could hang the boat from it. However it does not glue well and it checks badly. Not a nice wood to work with but strong and durable. I don't see how putting some cross grain dowls of fir would be any stronger than end grain IPE? I don't know if I could even drive 3" of screw into IPE?????
Those are nice drills.

Stuart

Return to “Wood and Plywood”