plywood glue

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Adrian harrison

plywood glue

Post by Adrian harrison »

I bought this from Amazon and I think its the wrong glue, I bought this thinking it was resorcinol but I don't think it is. Has anyone here used it? I'm building a super Huck and wondering if it would be OK for the bulkheads?
Attachments
IMG_20150609_203519.jpg

jcallends

Re: plywood glue

Post by jcallends »

Your right Adrian, it's the wrong glue. This is basically woodworkers glue and is not intended to be used in boats at least those that are used in water. From information previously posted on this blog resorcinol glues require very close fitting joints to be effective. Most home boat builders use structural epoxy for joints. Joints don't have to be close fitting and is relatively easy to use. This kind of adhesive can be ordered from Glen-L and you will know you have the best available for your boat.

Adrian harrison

Post by Adrian harrison »

Thanks for the reply and yes from now on I'll just buy from glen l :)

Locutus

Post by Locutus »

Weldwood is rated water resistant, not waterproof. But then, so is epoxy when it comes right down to it. If you go over to the Stevenson Projects site, you'll find that they specify Weldwood as their glue of choice, because it's relatively cheap and easy to work with.

For what it's worth, I am building a Stevenson Super Skipjack and elected to use epoxy based glue instead, as well as epoxy encapsulation. (System Three Gel Magic and Silver Tip epoxy.)

My 2 cents.

P.S.:
In the appendices of one of Larry Parday's books (Classic Boatbuilding, I think), He talks about what he refers to as "Winter grade" resorcinol, which does not require as much clamping pressure and will fill gaps up to 1/16 inch. I think he said it was available from some company in the UK. Of course, the book was written in the late 1980s or so. So things may have changed since then.

He also mentioned many epoxy glue failures he's encountered, but zero resorcinol failures.

Check out this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26929

Return to “Wood and Plywood”