First Boat Build:White Oak v Dense Yellow Pine

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Ryan

Re: First Boat Build:White Oak v Dense Yellow Pine

Post by Ryan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:23 am

I didn't trace out the frame correctly with the sharpie, I was doing it from memory so disregard that. (you'll see what I mean in the video).

Hope this helps, and like I may have mentioned, the epoxy is incredibly strong, I am 100% certain if all of the nails were removed somehow after glue-up, it would take nothing away from the strength of these glue-ups in particular. There is so much surface area on the plywood faces which contacts the frame members, you would tear the wood up before the glue joint gave out once set.

Link to video:
https://youtu.be/UtnFmtbcw84

JCD

Post by JCD » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Glued the first frames today once I got home and while those are drying I am starting to plan out the transom. I am torn between the short shaft (15") and long shaft (20"). I have been doing a little research and it seems the long shaft would be better in terms of options for motors in my area. I'm just wondering if there is any advantage to the short shaft other than lower seat height and lighter on the back making a smaller draft? And if I did go with the long shaft transom, would I still be able to basically sit low on the floor to be able to duck under the coamings?

By the way, your video was a big help as I started completing the frames and understanding the shapes!

curt1893

Post by curt1893 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:55 am

I'm curious how everything turned out. Sounds like an impressive boat.
Christopher Curtis

Return to “Wood and Plywood”