Glueing mahogany boards for frames

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

66cobra

Glueing mahogany boards for frames

Postby 66cobra » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:15 pm

I need to glue to boards together to make it wide enought to cut frame pieces out and I dont have any epoxy. Is tile bond ok to use?....the frame gets encapsulated eith epoxy
Jon

hoodman

Re: Glueing mahogany boards for frames

Postby hoodman » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:29 am

What's tile bond? I had to do the same thing. I needed to add about a half inch in width to one board to get a couple of frame pieces to fit. It ended up in a spot that nobody will ever see once the boat is finished. If you are to the point of cutting out frame pieces you might as well go ahead and at least get a little bit of epoxy to get you started. Where I buy mine you can get as little as a 1 1/2 quart kit, although it is much more economical to get a larger quantity.

lakeracer69

Postby lakeracer69 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:50 am

I think he means "titebond" wood glue. I would suggest epoxy as well. You'll need to buy some sooner or late. If you don't have Glen-L's
"Boatbuilding with Plywood" book buy that as well. Many building questions are answered there.

YMMV
As Conan the Barbarian says, " It's not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and remain standing".

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:48 am

And yet... Titebond is considered a perfectly good adhesive for building strip canoes. Hmmm.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:58 am

Yeah, Dave, its probably one of those things where it would probably work just fine.

66cobra

Postby 66cobra » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:04 pm

Thnx, bought some epoxy
Jon

galamb

Postby galamb » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:44 pm

Dave Grason wrote:And yet... Titebond is considered a perfectly good adhesive for building strip canoes. Hmmm.

Not just Titebond, I have a strip canoe building book that is considered one of the "bibles" and they use plain old carpenters glue.

But, I still would (and do) use epoxy - you can get it everywhere now.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:10 pm

:D Coarse don't forget; strip canoes get epoxy and glass on both sides anyway.regardless on what you use for glue.good soaking of epoxy would probably soak thru the strips.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:16 pm

And that epoxy gives the canoe an amazing amount of additional strength. I had always thought that the carpenter's glue was supposed to be enough to hold everything together long enough to get the epoxy and the cloth applied. That's when the real work of the adhesive begins when building canoes. So really, that may be the difference that we're not sure about.

Years ago, when I was working as an installer of hardwood floors, the guys I worked with and I had a certain way of sanding and finishing the floors. We stuck with it even when the reps from various manufacturers of sanding machines, stains, polyurethanes, sealers and other stuff, were telling us that we could save time or money here or there. We stuck with our system because we KNEW IT WORKED! We knew that we would get consistent results every time. When we were charging our customers the prices we were getting, we didn't need to be experimenting around with unfamiliar methods or materials. When working with unfamiliar stuff, even if we got good results one time, we may not another. If we didn't get a good result, our customer would want to know why and we would not necessarily have the answer. So, we would be, in effect, charging the customer the price for a professional installation and the customer was not getting his/her money's worth.

I think this methodology could apply here. It may be true that carpenter's glue (and Titebond IS carpenter's glue albeit a high quality one) will work and maybe it won't. But we all know that epoxy definitely works and that's that. I wouldn't mess with that method.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

gdcarpenter

Postby gdcarpenter » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:26 am

Don't mean to flog a dead horse, but here's a link to a scientific study on glues. Titebond III actually outperformed Epoxy. I have worked with many older carpenters over the years that said "We have always done it this way"! I believe you can teach an old dog new tricks, if they are willing to learn.

http://www.oldbrownglue.com/pdf/HowStro ... ue_FWW.pdf
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:36 pm

I like epoxy thickened with micro-fibers for frames. I have used off the shelf construction adhesives for some things. I used Elmer's Pro-Bond (brown) on the strips for the canoe. Things that I tested always seemed to show a wood failure, not the bond.

The down side to the construction adhesive they expand a little and squeeze out of thee joint after you wipe off the excess. They are also difficult to sand.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Wood and Plywood”