Tracing plans onto plywood

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

BillS

Tracing plans onto plywood

Post by BillS » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:45 pm

I received the plans for the GL Fold UP a couple of weeks ago. The trace out patterns show only 1/2 of each piece and they are all on top of each other in a confusing jumble of lines and markings. The directions explaining how to trace them out aren't very clear to me. I'm not normally one to have difficulty with directions but the concept of using patterns instead of dimensions is something I'm having a hard time with.

I have searched for posts on this subject but haven't found much. Was hoping that someone made a video. Anything in the forum that explains the process a little better?

mrintense

Re: Tracing plans onto plywood

Post by mrintense » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:41 am

I started off using the patterns but had difficulty getting them to lie flat and line up at the same time. I cut small holes in the patterns on the lines to aid in getting them lined up. Still didn't work like I wanted.

What I did instead, but which took longer was to trace the patterns with tracing paper (taped together). I then taped carbon paper strips (carbon side down) to the backside of the tracings and then laid those on the wood and went over the tracing lines with a pencil (transferring the carbon to the wood).

I am not sure this is the best approach, but it worked for me. Best advice I can give you on this is to take the time to figure this out before cutting. However, also keep in mind that when you get to fairing, some of the outside edges are going to go away.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

kens

Post by kens » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:33 am

GlenL sells a package of tracing paper, well worth the buy.
They are relatively large pieces of carbon tracing paper. I use it all the time.
The way I did it, I used the tracing paper doubled up, back to back.
Then as I drew my parts, I got lines on my wood parts, and the back of the plans at the same time,
then just flip over the plans for the mirror image.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

BillS

Post by BillS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks Carl,
No fairings for me on this project. It's the 10' fold up boat. I am curious, however how accurate some of the pieces have to be since they are going to be hinged with inflatable boat material at the joints. I am normally particular about being accurate but would hate to spend the extra time on pieces that could be 1/8" off here or there without being an issue. If anyone here has built the fold up, please chime in.

BillS

Post by BillS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks, Ken
I just found a youtube using that process. It's high speed time lapse video so you really have to pay attention to see that is how he is doing it. I also saw someone comment that Kinko's might have the large carbon paper.

slug

Post by slug » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:39 pm

I tape my patterns to large sheets of stiff cardboard (available from most ply distributors.....used as protective cover sheets) then prick through the relevant lines in to the cardboard. I then cut out the actual piece in cardboard first. This works great for building frames, but not certain it will help you on large pieces like panels. I think if you stretch your patterns out and tape them to your ply then prick through, you should be OK. Maybe you could mock up the pieces first in cardboard to be certain of fit.
Doug

specialk

Post by specialk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:34 am

This might be a little late But... I used clear plastic.. I think is was 12mils...the rolls you get from the hardware store...
taped the blue line print to a sheet of plwood...so it would not move... then layed my sheet of clear plastic on it...taped down also... and traced on the plastic with a marker/...then fold plastic in half.. keeping my level building lines straight... and I have the complete outline... worked for me..
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:15 am

I marked the centerline and waterline on the ply. I stretched the pattern out and taped it down. I punch holes at key points and used various colors of Sharpies to mark the dots. I then used a wood strip left over from the canoe to connect the dots. Measure or flip paper and repeat.

The Bartender has a lofting table, which I scaled up 6.27%. So, you just plot out the curves. lofting is not that big of a deal once you do the first frame.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:16 am

:D I used thin plexi-glass.figured out largest pattern ,then lay plastic out and draw with black sharpie (majic marker)cut out on bandsaw andsmooth edges with sandpaper then run around with pencil and flip plastic for other side. then draw next smaller pattern and cut that out and do same for everything.you won't end up with a set of hard patterns (unless you get alot of plexi)but your parts will be mirror image of each other.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

sands35

Post by sands35 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:19 pm

Lay out the plans on a worktable. Surface should be flat and clear. Something softer like birch.

Place small nails, 4d or so, with the heads on the line you want traced. Gently set into the plans/worksurface with a hammer.

Place the board to be traced onto the nails and hammer down with a rubber mallet or dead blow.

Connect the dimples with pencil and perhaps a lofting batten (long straight clear grained flexible wood).

This is less work in the long run than making a trace onto something else.

If you want to make patterns, then use luan rather than the finished wood for the transfer process.

Brandlin

Post by Brandlin » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:18 pm

Feels to me like this is getting way complicated.

I admit I've never built a boat before but I've done a lot of work from 1:1 scale plans before. I always just use one of these stolen from my wife's sewing supplies.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunny-Yellow- ... 2076806093

Simply tape down your plan to the surface you're tracing on to. Pin prick through the major corners and then trace the lines with the wheel. Remove the pattern and join the very regular dots. Mirror and repeat. Simples.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”