Mahogany

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Hooked

Mahogany

Postby Hooked » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:49 am

Hey guys! Here's a link to Craigslist in Baton Rouge, La. area for Mahogany. https://batonrouge.craigslist.org/mat/5453662293.html
Several months ago I found 900 board/ft. on Craigslist, some 5/4 X 18", for $1,200.00 (do the math) kiln dried. I bought it all!!
The above listing just came out so check it out.

Kelvin
Building a modified Ski King

Dave Grason

Re: Mahogany

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:35 am

Here is another of those examples of when I hate my life. lol :lol:

But just out of curiosity, how much would this pack of lumber weigh? Does anyone know? Could it be carried safely in a one ton dually pick up truck?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:48 am

Dave, I bought 400 board feet back when I was getting started with my build. I can tell you that my half ton pickup would have easily carried 900 board feet. It sounds like a lot but its not as much as you think. The only thing is if the boards are super long how far will they hang out the back? I had some 12-14 footers, luckily I only had to drive an hour so not too big of a deal.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am

That's good to know. Do you have an 8 foot bed on your ride?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 pm

You can borrow my trailer
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

galamb

Postby galamb » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:34 pm

This stuff is somewhere around 37 lbs per "cubic" foot.

If he has 1100 feet, 1" thick and say 8" wide (on average just for the sake of calculations) that would be:

1100 feet x .75 = 825 "square feet" by 1" thick = 825/12 = call it 69 "cubic feet" x 37 lbs = just shy of 2700 lbs (2691 by the math).

If his boards are more like 10-12" wide you could be looking at 3000-3500 lbs, assuming the stuff is "dry" (8% or so).
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Dave, I have a 6.5 foot bed. With the tailgate down a little over 8 feet.

According to the book, Mahogany is 2.83lbs per board foot. That makes the math a little easier. Don't think I would be able to put 3000lbs in the bed of my truck!

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:20 pm

Well.... you COULD put it in there. These ole rednecks here in Tennessee do it all the time. It's just that your front wheels wouldn't have enough weight on em to steer and there would be very little in the way of braking force. :lol: My neighbor was recently spreading gravel in his driveway and he was hauling the stuff with his Chevy S-10. YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!! I have no idea how he actually kept from wrecking it but I can promise you it was a white knuckle ride. :lol:

I remember I started my landscaping biz with a half ton truck back in 1990 because that was the only truck I had. Finally, by 1995, I had built up my business enough to buy a new truck and, in a moment of stupidity, I let the salesman talk me into another half ton truck. BIG MISTAKE! I was pulling a 16 ft trailer with three commercial mowers on it and I couldn't keep brake pads on the front and I couldn't keep a clutch in it. But the business kept growing and in 1997, I sold that half ton and bought a 3/4 ton. I honestly could not believe the difference. It was like night and day. All of a sudden, my truck problems were over. Six months later, I was expanding my business and needed a second truck. I bought a one ton and OMG, there was as much difference between the 3/4 ton and the one ton as there had been between the half ton and the 3/4 ton. I have never owned a half ton since and likely never will. In the years since, I've had as many as eight trucks running all at once and all were either 3/4 or one ton trucks.

I've had a lot of guys really get in my face big time about how I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. They will go on and on about how good their half ton trucks are and, depending on how they're used, I fully agree. Half ton trucks are fine for certain applications. One thing is for certain, half ton trucks are almost always quieter and more comfy. They also get better mileage because they've got highway gears. But for any real weight carrying ability or pulling ability, it's always better to go heavier. But even so, 3000 lbs is a LOT to put in a pick up truck.

If someone really wants to know, I can give a good explanation why diesel pick ups are a waste of money and so are 4X4s. If you're running a business, 2 wheel drives with gas engines are the way to go.

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:28 am

Well this is convenient since I live in Baton Rouge. I've bought my mahogany from Brazos' Lumber Yard for my present build for about $4.50 per foot, but it's African Mahogany, not Honduran. I'm not sure how much more Honduran would have cost. While I really only need very little and possibly no additional mahogany to finish my build, the timing isn't great; but, if I can find time I'll try to get over there (about 15 to 20 miles from my house) and take a look at it and let you guys know first hand what I see.

Hooked

Postby Hooked » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Finally catching up......... my 1/2ton F150 carried it OK but I had to stop and add air to the rear tires. It was the limit of the truck!!
I would offer you guys some of this but my wife is already drooling over the pile with "new bedroom furniture in her eyes"!! LOL and......... maybe a 1951 Chevy Woodie a neighbor started years ago!???

BayouBengal......... let's get together. I made the stringers for the Ski King this weekend. About to start the frames. What are you building?

Kelvin
Building a modified Ski King

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Thu May 11, 2017 12:25 pm

From what little I have read on this forum, it seems that most folks resaw mahogany boards for their planking and decking. Does anybody ever use rotary cut veneer mahogany for their planking and decking?

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Fri May 12, 2017 3:45 am

Check out my "Michigan Squirt Build", I used Mahogany Veneer to plank my hull. I will probably use thicker resawn mahogany on the deck. I bought the veneer from http://www.veneersupplies.com/. They carried a variety of flat sawn and quarter sawn veneers, and post a photo of each lot so you know exactly what you are getting. The only problem with rotary sawn veneer, is that you will get a lot of cathedrals and it may just look like plywood.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri May 12, 2017 4:08 am

I have to ask......cathedrals?

TomB

Postby TomB » Fri May 12, 2017 4:34 am

Cathedrals - wood grain arches are sometimes referred to as cathedrals.

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Fri May 12, 2017 9:32 am

Google it!

Some people may like that look, I generally prefer quarter sawn grain patterns. It depends on the type of wood as well.

When I bought my veneer, I actually picked a relatively low quality (read cheap!) "flat sawn" lot, but it had a lot of quarter sawn grain on both edges. So when I cut it into strips, I was able to get rid of most of the cathedrals and it all looks quarter sawn.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Wood and Plywood”