Using Ash Wood

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

usacmh

Using Ash Wood

Postby usacmh » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:40 am

Hello,

I am a new member and life long boat lover. I'm starting to gather parts and pieces to build the Key Largo. A couple weeks ago I had an Ash tree cut down in my yard. I was already planning on getting the tree boarded and kiln dried...would Ash be a good choice for the frame work on this boat? The boat will be encapsulated in epoxy so as long as it's dry going in rot should not be an issue.

Any comments or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Katie

Re: Using Ash Wood

Postby Katie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:36 pm

I think you may heard of Hacker Craft. For ten year period they built boats with ash frames. Now a days most are making tons of money putting new bottoms and frames in some of those boats. The ash didn't last at all. Hence it means that ash does not have good resistance. It's better to go with go with mahog or doug fir.
Last edited by billy c on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: deleted spam link

kens

Postby kens » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:23 pm

I used a bit of ash in my build, as well as white oak.
I like the ash.
as long as it is encapsulated, and treated properly, I could easily prefer it over white oak.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

JaTro

Postby JaTro » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:26 am

Any wood cut down during summer is wrong for boatbuilding.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”