interesting use of red oak

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

chugalug

interesting use of red oak

Post by chugalug » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:58 am

Was watching Louis Sauzedde's build on Totalboat the other day and was intrigued on his use of red oak for chine logs.Said most of those boats would only last 30 years instead of the 100 years for regular white oak.I used red oak in my build and soaked it all down with CPES.Was an availability issue.If I can get half of those years ,I'll be happy.After watching a few of his videos ,I'm surprised he still has all his fingers .
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Mark-NJ

Re: interesting use of red oak

Post by Mark-NJ » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:56 pm

I find his videos to be absolutely captivating!

That video surprised me, specifically his use of RA.......insofar as he has other videos that clearly show the problems with RA.

TAB

Post by TAB » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Mark-NJ wrote:I find his videos to be absolutely captivating!

That video surprised me, specifically his use of RA.......insofar as he has other videos that clearly show the problems with RA.

its a cheap working boat, that is not designed to last for ever. no reason to use white oak for something like that.

its like would you frame a house with clear fir or is commons fine?

Katie

Post by Katie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:06 am

Even I am surprised by seeing the video. The boat was not actually designed based on the constraints to be followed. Actually white oak is recommended for marine use rather than red oak. Unlike red oak, the white oak produces blockages in the vascular capillaries of the xylem is called as called tyloses. These occur mostly in the heartwood. These effectively limit water flow and close the tubes. This prevents capillary action and greatly reduces moisture penetration and also attack by mould and other organisms.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”