Plane or cut first?

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

chasen

Plane or cut first?

Post by chasen » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:20 pm

I finally bought my first batch of random white oak stock to start my frames. Needing 1" net for the Belle Isle frames, I bought 5/4 boards...what do most people do first...cut, or plane? Thinking cut first, but the plans say "the frames are MADE with 1" net thick material".
Chad
Belle Isle 23, working on frames as of Dec '16

billy c

Re: Plane or cut first?

Post by billy c » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Run them thru your jointer to get a flat face then the thickness planer to 1"
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

kens

Post by kens » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:50 pm

first thing is to run all your stock thru thickness planer to get everything to a consistent thickness.
that way, it doesn't matter which board you pick up to work with, all of them mate up nicely with gussets, joints, sister boards or what have you.
even the scraps will be of uniform thickness if you might happen to need a shim, or a filler
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

slug

Post by slug » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:59 am

Billy C is correct. Through the joiner first so you start with one flat, true side. If you just plane them they'll come out just as bent//twisted/warped as before only smoother.
Doug

specialk

Post by specialk » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:03 am

Not sure what kind of planer you have... But sometimes you get Skype on the last 6" inches of your planed board...so everyone is correct plane first cut second...if you get some Skype...you can cut it off ...just my 2cents...!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

chasen

Post by chasen » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:25 am

Thanks everyone! Jointer, planer, cut.
Chad
Belle Isle 23, working on frames as of Dec '16

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Plane first with allowance for snipe.

TAB

Post by TAB » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:00 pm

squaring up wood goes like this..

joint, joint 90 degrees, plan, table saw, joint.

ToddM

Post by ToddM » Fri May 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Disclaimer: I have never built a boat.

When building furniture, or just about anything else with wood, I cut to a rough size before jointing or planing. IMO, cutting to rough size lets the board move as closely as possible to the shape it will be after final dimensioning. Example, if I jointed and planed an 8 foot board to the final four sides dimensions, and then cut 2 inches of check off the end, and then cut a final length dimension of 3 feet, my 3 foot board will probably develop some twist due to the natural tensions in the wood. If instead, I initially cut off a 3' 4" section, and then joint and plane, chances are better that when I cut for 3 foot, the board will move less. Also, if you google, "snipe", you will find different methods to avoid or minimize it.

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat » Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 pm

What Kens said. I built with white oak and pound for pound I think it is stronger than mahogany the genuine and all the other varieties so there is no need to have 1 inch net, save some weight net 3/4 is adequate for white oak also it steam bends better than most
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 pm

I don't even own a planner. 4/4 white oak stock netted me 7/8" material, done.
I play a trick on friends with white oak. 1st I give them a length of 1x2 pine and they break it easily, then I give them the 1x2 white oak, "having a little trouble there, are you?"

Katie

Post by Katie » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:21 am

flat side must be done first and then go for the next. I am sure of what type of planner you have. If you get any skype you can cut it off later. If you take any type of joints it work with all boards you take.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”