Riveria motor stringers

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

57jimbo

Riveria motor stringers

Postby 57jimbo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 am

Hello, This topic may have already been discussed. If so, sorry for the rerun.
It's been a few years since I joined this forum and after dealing with, "Life", I've finally got around to completing all my frame members for my Riviera build. Time for " Phase 2 ".
I live in the Metro Orlando , Fl. area and I am having difficulty locating lumber long enough for the motor stringers.
The plans indicate the finished stringers to be 16' - 3" in length. All the choices I can find for 8/4 lumber are all 12' ish max.
I can't find vertical grain African Mahogany at all. I can get quarter sawn Sapele, but only 12' ish. Cannot get Doug Fir nor Long Leaf Pine here, only Southern Yellow or White.
Now for my questions.
1) Any suggestions for a good substitute lumber that I could possibly find in 18' lengths ?
OR
2) Would it be acceptable to build-up a beam using 2 layers of 3/4" material, Mahogany or Sapele, Epoxying and screwing together with staggering
joints , similar to a Lam beam used in building construction ?
I welcome your suggestions.
Thank you,
Jim

hoodman

Re: Riveria motor stringers

Postby hoodman » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:26 am

A laminated beam will be stronger than a single thick piece of timber. Especially using epoxy adhesives. Any weaker spots in one piece get compensated for by the other lamination. If you want ultimate strength, put a layer of plywood between the laminations (probably overkill).

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:13 am

I believe that a built up stringer is preferred to one single piece for strength, but also to prevent warping. My boat doesn't require stringers, but I think that is what has been discussed here before.

Bryan
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:57 pm

Jim

Built up is better. I cut my pieces at 60* and stagger the joints. I don't put the joint directly under the engine.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

57jimbo

Postby 57jimbo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:47 pm

Thank you all for the responses. I kind of had an idea that it would be acceptable to do so, and it is good to get the confirmations.
I also like the idea of handling 10 to 14 foot 4/4 stock during the milling process vs. trying to lug around an 18 foot 8/4 slab repeatedly through my planer and joiner.
I am sure i will be turning to the forums as my build progresses and I look forward to the input and advice from others who have traveled this journey.
I have built hundreds of fiberglass boats in the late 70's and early 80's working for Regal Boats. It has been many years and brain cells since those days !
Wood boats are definitely different creatures and I am enjoying every moment building one.
I will post photos as I progress with the build.
Thanks again.
Jim

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:04 am

Cruise through the photos on Van Dam Boat's Facebook page. They laminate all their stringers and if it's good enough for them....
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”