Best way to make frame templates

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Bill Edmundson

Re: Best way to make frame templates

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Jeff :lol:

I'm not that good just lazy! :lol:

The guy with the Tornado was from Memphis. His name is Neel. I don't remember his last name right now.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Ya Paul was from Tennessee as well had a red tornado. Maybe I'm mixing them up.

EDIT: Paul Miller was at G5 with his Tornado. Found the pictures in the G5 Gallery. We are likely taking about two different boats. here.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:52 pm

My mistake! It was Paul Miller! I always associate him Mr. Hotrod!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:55 pm

It was this boat, really more of a magenta color - http://www.glen-l.com/picboards/picboar ... ex008.html
he seemed like a very nice man
Yes, very nice, certifiably crazy, but nice.

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:00 pm

I think you have to be a little crazy to want to push a flat like many of them do. Right up to the edge of catastrophe...lol. I've corresponded with a few others asking questions and they mostly seem to have that in common...lol

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Here's a video of Paul Miller's Tornado at G5 :
I emailed Paul a few years ago after he sold the boat. I believe he hit 86 MPH on GPS on that run.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory
Last edited by Mr Hot Rod on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DSR

Post by DSR » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Perfect timing on the template question Nova!

I'm getting ready to start the frames for the TNT very shortly and was thinking of asking the exact same thing.
I might actually build more than one of these little buggers depending on how #1 turns out and it'd be nice to have a set of sturdy accurate templates for that.

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one to plan on building a Tornado! That is the very boat that got me yearning to build a boat 20-some years ago. And researching Paul's Tornado definitely cemented the idea in my brain! His was a very nice example!

Thanks!!
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Mr Hot Rod wrote:Here's a video of Paul Miller's Tornado at G5 :
I emailed Paul a few years ago after he sold the boat. I believe he hit 86 MPH on GPS on that run.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/chelseacoachworks]Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel

Hey Paul thanks for sharing the Vid of Pauls, Tornado in action. Looks like he was hauling the mail for sure.

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:20 pm

DSR wrote:Perfect timing on the template question Nova!

I'm getting ready to start the frames for the TNT very shortly and was thinking of asking the exact same thing.
I might actually build more than one of these little buggers depending on how #1 turns out and it'd be nice to have a set of sturdy accurate templates for that.

I'm glad I'm not the only crazy one to plan on building a Tornado! That is the very boat that got me yearning to build a boat 20-some years ago. And researching Paul's Tornado definitely cemented the idea in my brain! His was a very nice example!

Thanks!!
Dave
Paul’s is definitely a great example of the Tornado. I've only been thinking of it for about 14 years so I have a few years yet to go to catch up to you...lol

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:47 pm

Oh ... you wanted info on templates !! ...

We used 3/8" select grade plywood to make our templates. See our website for more details :
The templates for the bottom frames, laminations
and floor timbers were screwed to Douglas Fir stock
and cut on the bandsaw to within 1/8" of the
template. Pieces were then trimmed on the router
table using a trim bit.

Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Nice work Paul.

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:41 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:I didn't make templates. I started to. But, as much work as I was doing on them, I decided to just do the wood and be done with it. I was only making one.
For me, a significant part of the reason for doing templates is financial. I can get all the frame profiles transferred to less than £50 worth of ply, bought locally in a DIY shop. This means I can hold off for as long as that work lasts before spending around £1000 on oak, marine ply and shipping. And if I make mistakes, all I've wasted is a couple of pounds worth of ply which I'll be less upset about than if it was expensive oak!

My plans have only an outer profile for the frames and specify a minimum profile of 3". So if I screw up on drawing the inner profile, or in splitting into bottom and side members, that will become apparent on the ply, before I transfer to oak.

TAB

Post by TAB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:49 pm

well now that I have a cnc router, I would put the drawings into cad/cam and have it make them. :mrgreen: ( really loving it by the way, its just a very expesive toy until next week anyways) if not I would get some of the tracing paper by the roll( often found at art supply houses/ craft stores) and use that, cut about 1/32" away from the line, then use rasps/files/planes/sand paper to get it too the line.

bobinpowayca

Post by bobinpowayca » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:33 pm

I didn't make templates either. Fortunately I had access to some quality tools - drum sander, disc sander and band saws. Big ones, had to be over 50 yrs old but this shop is no longer available to me. Anyway, I laid out the patterns from Glen-L on the sapelle boards over carbon paper and very carefully traced out the pattern right onto the wood. Then cut out the frames on the table saw maybe 1/8 inch outside the lines. Then used the drum sander for the inside curves and disc sander for the outside curves. It was about a 16" wide disc mounted in a steel table. Frames came out perfect but again these were quality tools. For the rest of the boat's curved pieces I got a nice little combination belt sander/spindle sander- Ridgid - at the depot. It does the same things just smaller tools. Bob
Bob

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:36 pm

The best way would be to see if Gayle has any of the templates that Alan made!

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Wood and Plywood”