Laminating frames

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rblevens

Laminating frames

Post by rblevens » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:54 am

In order to make my frames thicker (white oak) would it be ok to laminate 2 boards together with west system epoxy to make the frame member thick enough?
Thanks!

billy c

Re: Laminating frames

Post by billy c » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:09 am

You could but it would be more expensive and time consuming
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:14 am

Why do they need to be thicker? What's your application?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:30 am

I believe he is building a sea angler. The sea angler calls for 2" material for the frames. It has a beam of 13'8" which must need the extra thickness. I think you could laminate them without problems. I imagine 8/4 is difficult to find.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:56 pm

I think laminating to get the thickness would work just fine, may even be a little bit stronger? My only caution is to avoid driving screws into the glue line at the edges of the frames, you don't want to risk wedging the laminations apart.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

rblevens

Post by rblevens » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks for the great answers!
Looking at the Carolina Angler or the Sea Angler- I have a great supply of 7/8" oak- making gluing cheaper- than buying thicker stock potentially.
Just considering all options!
Rick

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:25 pm

The laminations would be more stable and probably stronger, with less risk of a thick board having a weak spot.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:49 pm

8/4 white oak is pretty much available. would do a little more leg work to find it. Pita and costly to laminate all that material.

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:35 pm

The lamination would work well. You might also think about turning the lamination so the individual pieces would be narrow and then stacked to make the wide dimension of the frame member.

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:26 pm

You could also do lap joints at the Chine easily
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:51 pm

I'm with Billy c on using 8/4 to cut down the work of laminating all that wood. You can use the 7/8 stock for sheers, chines, battens, etc. as the plans specify.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

kens

Post by kens » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:58 am

rblevens wrote:In order to make my frames thicker (white oak) would it be ok to laminate 2 boards together with west system epoxy to make the frame member thick enough?
Thanks!
yeah, you can do that. the final product is a better product than a single thick part. But, it is more work, more epoxy, more wood.
But, if you were to make a 3 lamination with the center lam an offset color or species, you end up with a very good looking part. If you laminate, you can use thin pieces from the start, example, you could use 3 lam of finished thickness 3/4" (actually finish out about 5/8"). Because the laminate is a better part, you can use a cheaper (cheaper than oak) wood from the start, and end up with a very strong part. You can price out the various options of wood for a core vs face species usage.
Example, I made my motor stringers out of Cypress. I took 4/4 clear cypress, planed it down to .6", made a 3 lam beam that finished at 2". Very happy with this. it is cheaper and lighter than anything else I could get a 2"x8" beam out of.
A 3 lam of Ash & Spanish Cedar might be a lot cheaper than 8/4 oak, be lighter, and look better.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

billy c

Post by billy c » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:08 am

His state tree is the white oak :lol:
That is a good size boat. Get the proper timber and you will be way ahead of the game. Look on the internet for some of the shipwrights in Maine building lobster boats etc. They all use solid timber for their frame members. This would be like building one of the smaller Glen l designs with popsicle sticks! Done

ToddM

Post by ToddM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:18 am

rblevens wrote:In order to make my frames thicker (white oak) would it be ok to laminate 2 boards together with west system epoxy to make the frame member thick enough?
Thanks!
Laminated is stronger than a single width board, think Glu-Lams and plywood. That said, neither the 7/8 times 2, nor the 8/4 will give you a actual thickness of 2". If you used either at full thickness/non-planed, the thickest you will get is 1 3/4", and chances are you will need to plane for flatness no matter what the original thickness of the boards are, so you will end up with a measured of much less than 2". Do the plans specify 8/4, or 2" actual? For 2" actual from a single board, you will probably have to start with 12/4. For almost any project, laminated boards can be thinner than single thickness boards for strength, so you may want to consider that? Personally, I would go with Ken's idea of laminating a board in between two boards to attain the spec'ed thickness, but consider that I almost never consider how long something will take. And, again personally, I would not concern myself with screwing into an epoxy joint. My experience is that the joint will have less tendency to split than the board itself. There are various videos on Youtube that show how and where joints fail with different adhesives.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:52 am

Todd: The description in the bill of materials say 2". It also says all sizes are nominal unless specified net, so he can use actual size down to 1 and 1/2".
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “Wood and Plywood”