Main stringers

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Steven r

Main stringers

Postby Steven r » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi
Is there a reason that main stringers are listed as DF and not Hard wood? I am thinking Utile, Sipo? I am thinking Monte Carlo?
Thanks Steve.

TomB

Re: Main stringers

Postby TomB » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi Steve,

I used African mahogany on my Tahoe 23 and the material list recommended "mahog, fir". The rough sawn lumber I used was a full 2"x10"x16'. After planing, and straightening, I just managed a 1 1/2"x5 1/2"x 16'. Next time I will laminate two layers of hard wood with a thin layer of plywood.

Tom

galamb

Postby galamb » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:58 pm

Most of the plans only list a couple different wood options.

My current plans list white oak or mahogany for the frames, chine, keel etc, I'm using Douglas Fir and Khaya. I can get DF super cheap so use it for any frame members etc that are "hidden from sight" and use the Khaya for anything visible (since it's pretty). And the DF at 34 lbs/cubic foot and Khaya at 32 lbs per cubic foot is "lighter" than the White Oak (47 lbs). And even if I only save 5 or 6 pounds on the frames, that is 5 or 6 pounds I don't have to power through the water for all eternity (or until she rots) :)

As long as you use "like wood" for the major structural pieces you won't have an issue.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:42 am

Hi Tom,
That's a lot waste wood, I must check this out when buying! I must say your build is interesting, very nice work.
Steve.

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:06 am

Hi Graham,
Lots of things to think about, I am not a lover plywood and it's not like what we used to get, with the black glue in it. It was called Navy ply as used buy MOD. I wonder if it could be planked with Agba? Triple diagonal or more? Lots to think about.
Steve.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:38 am

I used 4/4 white oak sandwiched between two outer layers of 9mm Okoume plywood. The layers were epoxied and nailed with ring shank nails. Very strong and very stable.

Roberta
Attachments
stringers laminated 008.JPG
stringers laminated 006.JPG
stringers laminated 001.JPG
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:01 am

Hi Roberta,
That's a another option, I see you do some nice work! Did I read somewhere you don't epoxy over the outer skin? Above the water line.
Steve.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:22 am

Epoxy yes. Don't fiberglass over bright work.

Roberta

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:46 am

Hi,
Sorry Roberta don't under stand bright work in the UK is the metal work? Do you epoxy then put the final planks on?
Thanks Steve.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:02 am

Bright work is wood left natural or stained. I don't fiberglass over bright work. I don't use epoxy resin under varnish. Sealer and stain under varnish. Epoxy under 2 part polyurethane. All wood that is not exposed as bright should be glued or encapsulated to prevent water damage.

These subjects and many more are covered in more detail in many of the builds chronicled in the forum.

Roberta

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:21 am

Roberta,
I under stand now, this is what I was thinking! I am thinking layers of Sipo instead of ply, we called it Agba in the 60s it needs solid engine beds, it going to have a v8 deisel in it.
Thanks Steve.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:30 am

Layering wood and epoxying makes for a stable and waterproof assembly regardless of woods used. Obviously some woods are more suitable depending on the application.

Roberta

Steven r

Postby Steven r » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:59 am

This is the good bit of being able to do ones own thing when building a boat, this is great!
Steve.

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:35 pm

Steven r wrote:Hi
Is there a reason that main stringers are listed as DF and not Hard wood? I am thinking Utile, Sipo? I am thinking Monte Carlo?
Thanks Steve.

I would not let the the non-hardwood designation of Doug Fir effect my choice of using it for a project needing a "hard" wood. Doug fir is plenty dense and hard and tough. I forget the reason for hardwood and softwood designations, but the actual hardness or softness are not always factors in those designations. IIRC, Balsa is classified as a hardwood.

kens

Postby kens » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Steven r wrote:Hi
Thanks Steve.

Gougeon brothers (West System) say do not use a hard dense wood like oak for engine stringers.
they say to use mahogany for stringers.
Oak is so dense that it can transfer vibrations into the hull.
the softer the wood, the more vibes it absorbs.
the denser the wood, the more it transfers vibes.
I used a laminate of Cypress, and all runs well.
Oak is over rated !!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Wood and Plywood”