Main stringers

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

kens

Re: Main stringers

Post by kens » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:55 pm

ToddM wrote:
Steven r wrote:Hi
Is there a reason that main stringers are listed as DF and not Hard wood? I am thinking Utile, Sipo? I am thinking Monte Carlo?
Thanks Steve.
I would not let the the non-hardwood designation of Doug Fir effect my choice of using it for a project needing a "hard" wood. Doug fir is plenty dense and hard and tough. I forget the reason for hardwood and softwood designations, but the actual hardness or softness are not always factors in those designations. IIRC, Balsa is classified as a hardwood.
Conifers are considered softwoods, such as Pines, Firs, Cedars, Spruce, and Cypress. If you may think Yellow pine is a 'soft' wood, try again !!!!
Broad leaf trees are considered hard woods, for whatever reason. Balsa is a broadleaf so it gets a hardwood designation.
Go figure!!!
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:13 am

Vibration transfer could also be from improper alignment in the power train, bent prop, poor running motor, and other causes. I am using white oak sandwiched between two layers of Okoume and use AL angle motor mounts. Very strong and stable. My setup runs as smooth as can be with no settling or misalignment in three seasons of boating.

Shrinkage, settling, and warping in an unstable stringer can cause misalignment of the power train and, thus, vibration. Some motor mounts also can provide better isolation from power train vibration where poor ones may allow more to transfer to the boat structure.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Steven r

Post by Steven r » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:04 am

Hi,
Vibration is a big consideration I am thinking v8 deisel. My plans have changed and the boat will have run in the sea? So it needs built strong, I just love the look of these boats!
Steve.

ToddM

Post by ToddM » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:45 pm

kens wrote:
ToddM wrote:
Steven r wrote:Hi
Is there a reason that main stringers are listed as DF and not Hard wood? I am thinking Utile, Sipo? I am thinking Monte Carlo?
Thanks Steve.
I would not let the the non-hardwood designation of Doug Fir effect my choice of using it for a project needing a "hard" wood. Doug fir is plenty dense and hard and tough. I forget the reason for hardwood and softwood designations, but the actual hardness or softness are not always factors in those designations. IIRC, Balsa is classified as a hardwood.
Conifers are considered softwoods, such as Pines, Firs, Cedars, Spruce, and Cypress. If you may think Yellow pine is a 'soft' wood, try again !!!!
Broad leaf trees are considered hard woods, for whatever reason. Balsa is a broadleaf so it gets a hardwood designation.
Go figure!!!
Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't it make you wonder why they are not more often referred to as Conifers and Broad Leafs, instead of hardwoods and softwoods?

Steven r

Post by Steven r » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi,
I hope ever one will bear with me, Alloy could be an option? Timber we have a wholesaler? I am thinking the bottom of the hull 1 inch and 3/4 on sides? No ply!
Steve.

kens

Post by kens » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:17 pm

what design are you wanting to build?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Steven r

Post by Steven r » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi Ken,
Was thinking Monto Carlo, but nothing set in stone yet? Only becouse of the room in engine bay, and it looks like there is more V at the sturn. If only we lived in the USA you have all the parts and big toys!! It would have a hatch at rear like Brads amazing look!
Steve.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”