Use of Layout Boards.

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Catbldr

Use of Layout Boards.

Postby Catbldr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:11 pm

OK. I read the instructions and I see why layout boards are needed but the instructions for first timers are sorely lacking. To finish the instructions to my understanding I will continue. Fasten the frame components to the layout board. Then attach the frame. This will allow precise attachment of the frame to the frame components. Once the screws have been placed, remove the frame and remove the frame members and attach the frame members to frame using epoxy.

Is this correct or did I miss the boat. No pun intended.

You can sand the layout board for the next frame.

Ozzieboat

Re: Use of Layout Boards.

Postby Ozzieboat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Catbldr
See bronkalla.com "Riviera Project". If you use Melamine and Glen-l carbon paper you can clean the board with solvent and have a clean surface for the next frame.

PeterG

Re: Use of Layout Boards.

Postby PeterG » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:59 am

A layout board serves basically two purposes: making templates for frame pieces and assembling the frames. It can be used for anything you need to draw full size and build full size. Boatbuilders often have a mold loft which is a floor where the boat is drawn full size in three different views. Those are: the side elevation called the profile, the plan view or half breadth, and the end view called the body plan. In the case of Glen L boats, the design and plans have enough info that you really only need the full size body plan, which is the shape of the hull at each frame. When drawing the body plan, do both port and starboard halves (draw the whole frame, not one half like most body plans and patterns have). After you make your frame pieces using the lines of the body plan, you can lay the frame pieces on it to align them properly and glue/screw. There are many ways you can hold the pieces to the layout board, just make sure you can easily flip the frame when needed and finish the assembly on the layout board. That is also a good check for symmetry, flip the frame and make sure it still lines up with the layout. If it doesn't, this is the best time to find the problem and fix it. When gluing up on the layout board, put down a layer of clear plastic so you don't glue your frame to the layout board. Ask me how I know that... I used small blocks screwed to the layout board, set on the outer edges of the frame line. I set the frame pieces in place and predrilled and screwed for the the gussets and deck beams. I flipped the frame over, set it against the blocks again and finished predrilling and screwing the gussets on that side. Then I disassembled the frame and started the glue up and permanently installed the gussets on one side. When that was done, I flipped the frame and did the other gussets. I let that cure for a day and repeated the process for the other frames. Mark Bronkalla's Riviera project is a good resource, check it out if you haven't already.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”