Frames for Malahini

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Oden

Frames for Malahini

Postby Oden » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Have just received plans, very good.
Frames: is Pine a type of material to be used ?
Regards Oddvar

Bill Edmundson

Re: Frames for Malahini

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Oddvar

Welcome.

Southern Yellow Pine is often used. But, not White Pine. White Pine is a fast growing tree and is not very strong or rot resistant.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oden

Postby Oden » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:35 pm

Thank you for reply.
What are the best material for frames ?
(Norwegian pine is a slow growing pine, so I will check more about its qualities)
Regards Oddvar

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:47 am

Hi Oden! Glen-L has some articles of various woods to use, and they have a great book called Boatbuilding With Plywood that is highly recommended. There is a chapter in the book that addresses various woods. Basically Glen-L recommends Douglas Fir or mahogany for most designs but several here have used white oak (no red oak for boats). But this best point they make is if these are not available where you are, look at the kinds of woods used by local boat builders.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 am

It might help if you add your location to your profile or at least let us know where you are from. That way if others are nearby they can direct you to suppliers and common supplies used in that area. I'm pretty new so i'll leave the advice to others, though I second getting the book BoatBuilding With Plywood. Good luck with your build!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Return to “Wood and Plywood”