monaco planking thickness

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

GlenQ

monaco planking thickness

Post by GlenQ » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:17 pm

I Just received my Monaco plans and I have my first question (of many to come).
The topsides are 2 structural layers and 1 finish (sapele in this case). What material thicknesses should I be using for the marine ply and the final layer to arrive at 1/2 inch?

TIA

Roberta

Re: monaco planking thickness

Post by Roberta » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:40 am

I used 6mm Okoume for the decking substrate covered with 3/8" African Mahogany planking on my Torpedo. The reason for the 3/8" decking was to allow enough thickness for counter boring for screws to hold the boards down while epoxy adhesive cured. Then bung plugs were installed in the bores to cover the screws. I liked the vintage look of the bungs. You could use thinner boards, but the bores get a little shallow for the plugs. Or not use screws into the boards. Some builders use clamping screws placed in the caulk lines.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:35 am

On the Tahoe, I used 3/8" sub-deck and 1/8" planking. I used Raptors to hold it in place till the epoxy set.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:28 am

I just completed my decks and planking. I followed the plans for my Barrelback. The subdeck was 6mm okoume (1/4" ) and 1/8" african mahogany planking on top of that, for a total thickness of 3/8". The 6mm okume bends nicely, you might run into trouble if you go thicker. One thing to keep in mind is that the height of the planking and the subdeck need to line up even next to the coverboards. I have been all over the deck installing and trimming bungs, and the deck is solid with the 3/8" total thickness. Look at my recent postings under "Neeley's Barrelback Sacramento"
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:16 pm

By Topsides do you mean the side planking of the hull?
I am not familiar enough with the Monaco, but the Barrelback, Key Largo, and Belle Isle have 3/8" thick topsides made up of three 1/8" (3 mm) layers. Typically the layers are plywood/plywood/solid wood but can be solid wood for all three layers. The bottom is 1/2" thick with four 1/8" (3mm) layers of plywood with solid wood used for the outer layer where it will be visible.
If you need 1/2" thickness I would recommend four 1/8" layers with the outermost being the solid wood. The 1/8" thick material is more flexible and will conform to the hull structure more easily than thicker ones.
Hope that helps!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Check you plans they should tell you what to do on the decks. My Barrelback plans specify 1/4" for a subdeck and 1/8" for the final mahogany planking both in the plans and in the materials list. On the materials list look for subdeck to see what they recommend. I would not laminate two 1/8" layers to get the 1/4" needed for the subdeck. You will be using more epoxy, having more staple holes or extrusions, and a chance of a less than perfect lamination. Go with the 1/4 subdeck and the 1/8 mahogany, and you will be just fine.

If your question is about the hull, then all layers are 1/8" including the final mahogany layer. Once again check your material listing.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Quarter inch ply is fine for a Monaco. I used that on the Torpedo and it has a higher crown on the deck than the Monaco. I didn't have any problems with using 3/8" on the deck and cover boards either. I think 1/4" plus 1/4" will be fine.

Roberta

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Roberta is right. Even 1/2" should make the crown bend. So, it's your choice. It is not critical! I step, walk, and jump onto my decks. It's a boat and I don't want to worry about it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:01 pm

Glen
On my Monaco I used 4mm ply for all planking. 4 layers on the bottom , 2 on sides plus 4mm brightwork, 2 on transom plus 4mm brightwork and 2 on deck plus 4mm brightwork. I think the plans call up 1 layer of 3/8" on the deck. Using 4mm all over saved on wastage especially on the deck as you can't have joins in the corners of the cockpit cutouts. Two overlapping 4mm sheets eliminate this problem.

GlenQ

Post by GlenQ » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for all the great replies. I was thinking of the side planning in particular but all good info.

Glen

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Glen,

For the Tahoe and Barrelback, the instructions provide the information on planking layers and thickness under the section heading "Planking - In General". I bet your instructions are similar. (anxious to see pictures of your monaco :D )

Tom

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:45 am

I guess I was thinking the decking in my response. Are the sides above the chines 1/2"? I would have thought 3/8" on that size boat. I would go 1/8" for all layers in any case. Easier to work with.

Roberta :oops:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:13 am

Like Roberta, I was thinking deck. The Tahoe sides are 2 layers of 3 or 4 mm ply + 1/8" veneer. The bottom is 4 layers total.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:16 pm

On my Gentry, I used two layers of 6mm Okoume plywood on the sides and bottom and topped that with 1/8" mahogany planking. The deck is also two layers of 6mm plywood, but topped with 3/8" mahogany.

GlenQ

Post by GlenQ » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 pm

I have since found it on the plans and the sides are speced at 4 layers of 1/8" each. I haven't talked to the lumber supplier but I was thinking 1/8" sapele veneer would be too thin. Apparently not. All the videos that I have seen on similar boats all seem to be 3 layers total so whether I go with 3 or 4 layers I am sure it will float.

Thanks all

Return to “Wood and Plywood”