Modifed panel doors on the cheap

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Oyster

Modifed panel doors on the cheap

Postby Oyster » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:15 pm

I don't know if this is the correct place to put this one. But I thought I would add a post here after reading the Duckworks article on building doors for Glen-L’s Noyo trawler. I just completed building a form of panel doors on the cheap and quick. This entire rough in and glue up too about four hours.
IMG_2069.JPG
I think they will be better than the traditional raised panel doors with the solid wood since the joints are always moving and allowing water to sometimes wick into the seams , giving you problems down the road especially if the door or doors are varnished wood. .

I took a piece of plywood and fit it to the opening. I then cut solid Juniper for the simulated styles and for weight savings and since I was planning on painting the doors and glued them to the plywood. When everything was dried I then fit the unit to the opening. I did oversize the plywood a bit since I had planned down the road to cut it down the center line for two opening doors and this would deal with the saw cut.

You can do a sliding door this way and not cut it down the middle. But hopefully if you need something like this, the basic concept is here. I also made my glass removable to allow as much as I could to come in when the doors are closed in the evening time and on anchor. I used fixed dogs to hold them in place at the bottom and swing dogs at the top that pivots allowing the glass to go into place. The glass panels store down below in its own notch generated by an additional piece of juniper glued to the bottom style and one dog in the middle that secures the glass at the top and pivots.
Attachments
IMG_2194.JPG
IMG_2119.JPG
IMG_2162.JPG
IMG_2074.JPG
IMG_2071.JPG
IMG_2070.JPG

Roberta

Re: Modifed panel doors on the cheap

Postby Roberta » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:48 am

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:22 am

Mike
Those really good. What boat is that?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:23 pm

That's one of my custom designs, outboard powered with a 115 Suzuki that I am almost done with for coastal cruising. Its really nothing more than a wet condo with a point on one end. I just saw one of the Glen-L hulls in the article from Duckworks talking about making doors and know how much work it is for the average person. So I thought I would share this simpleton building arrangement , IMO.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:37 pm

Mike

Thanks,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Wood and Plywood”