Asia Wood suitable for Boat Building

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

meb46

Asia Wood suitable for Boat Building

Post by meb46 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:28 pm

Hello All,

New to the forum, and have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.

A quick background on myself... I'm a New Zealander, living in Singapore and running shipyards in Singapore and Vietnam. Although I am relatively familiar with Aluminium and Steel vessel builds, I have always been keen to build a wooden powerboat, such as a 20' Barrelback. Have spent the last 6 months immersing myself in research and reading on the Barrelback, and similar boats, and I'm getting close to making a decision.

My questions are really to do with limitations I have in Singapore and Vietnam in terms of wood supply. The region has a huge supply of wood, but not of the usual recommendations posted on the forum or recommended by Glen-L. this obviously contributes significantly to a cost base, and hence I'm keen for peoples feedback on locally sourced wood.

From a quick scour of local vendors, it seems the following are the most common types of wood:

1. Balau
2. Chengal
3. Meranti

and at a push I could find

4. Nyatoh
5. Teak
6. Merbau
7. Keruing
8. Ironwood

Before I resort in researching an becoming an expert on types of woods and their attributes, has anyone got a quick and easy answer to what is suitable for a Barrelback Build? Frames, Stringers, Decking etc?

Thanks in advance...

Roberta

Re: Asia Wood suitable for Boat Building

Post by Roberta » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:23 am

Welcome Aboard. I like Meranti, which is typically called dark red Philippine Mahogany.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:28 am

meb46 wrote:has anyone got a quick and easy answer
This made me laugh. Mainly because every time I thought I had a quick and easy answer with something on my boat it turned out to be not too simple in the end. However, I have used some meranti plywood in my boat and it is gorgeous. I would suggest doing a little more research into whether or not the solid wood version is suitable. As you can see at this link from Wood Magazine: https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials- ... -2/meranti "Meranti has little durability in outdoor projects." That being said, I wouldn't take everything from a woodworking magazine as gospel. If you can locate anyone in your area that builds wooden boats you could ask them what they use or would recommend. I'm sure there's something available locally that's suitable.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:30 am

A conflicting account from a different source:
https://www.mcilvain.com/yesterdays-phi ... s-meranti/
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

meb46

Post by meb46 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback, have been researching Meranti a little further based on your comments, and will hopefully weed out what's the most suitable locally available.

Will keep you posted on what I find...

rana391

Post by rana391 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:24 pm

I am also located in s.e. Asia.

I have been researching timber species here also with great confusion.

Even know which timber you want you have to rely on the reseller to know which timber he is selling.

Almost all wood is sold as Teak when you ask for Teak.

Another popular timber for boat building is Takien but there is also some superstition associated with its useage.

Marine Ply is also made from unobtainium here. Many poor quality domestic plys are stamped BS1088.

Cheers

Return to “Wood and Plywood”