One-Off??

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

FutureShock

One-Off??

Post by FutureShock »

I have seen the term "one-off" design used several times in different texts. :roll:
What does this refer to boat building and design?

Thanks

DanH

Post by DanH »

I have heard the term most often used when describing the construction method of a fiberglass boat built without a mold. Glen-L offers plans for some boats than can be built with this method.

Production fiberglass boats are built using a female mold. Each hull is identifical. In one-off construction, no two boats will be exactly the same. Think of it as the opposite of mass production.

Dan

FutureShock

Post by FutureShock »

Thanks Dan for your reply.

That makes sense, to think about it I have seen it used with fiberglass construction.

Again thanks for the information.

Scott

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason »

You'll also see/hear the term being used a lot with custom cars, hot rods, exotics, etc. A group of guys will get together to design and build a car that is totally unlike any other.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”