Australian Build - Timber Options - Suppliers

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Gouds

Australian Build - Timber Options - Suppliers

Post by Gouds » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:49 am

Hi All,
About to start the build of the Rampage ski boat. Wanting to get some ideas on what timber i can get in Australia that would be suitable for the build. I have tried several suppliers but always come back with more questions than answers. Would like to make a start on the frames, but would like to look at types of wood and Australian options (Available / Work) to get this project kicked off and over the line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This whole timber selection is doing my head in.

Thanks

Gouds
---
Gouds
Victoria, Australia
Building: Rampage

Bill Edmundson

Re: Australian Build - Timber Options - Suppliers

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:28 am

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Post by jenko » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:35 pm

use the Pacific /Queensland Maple aka Meranti for frames and battens,sands glues and bends well some of the longer lengths usually come warped but that is useful for some of your bends and as a result many suppliers are reluctant to stock. Douglas Fir /Oregon for the stringers is easily got :D

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:14 pm

I used Hoop Pine, being a local timber sourcing is no problem up here in SE Queensland, but down your way I would give serious thought to Tassie Oak/Mountain Ash.

Gouds

Post by Gouds » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:10 am

Thanks all for your replies. It is helping put my finger on what will become the new project.
Tasmanian Oak i have found to easy to source going by a few of my local suppliers. Given that im in North West Vic my choices are rather limited.

Has anyone had any experience with it. (Tas Oak) Searching the web there is a massive amount of mixed reviews, and not much around boat building.

http://www.nevillesmithfp.com.au/tasmanian-oak is a supplier that one of the larger retail outlets can source.

Also i Meranti, Douglas Fir - Ill put the feelers out and see what comes back.

Thanks heaps for your input. Will be great to get over this hurdle.

--Gouds
---
Gouds
Victoria, Australia
Building: Rampage

Return to “Wood and Plywood”