A couple new builder questions

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Joe03

A couple new builder questions

Post by Joe03 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Just a couple questions that the answers after reading are eluding me no matter how hard I try. I apologize for these questions ahead of time because they are most likely just blowing over my head and I feel a bit foolish.

Here goes.
1. It says in the Glen L 14 instructions on pattern transfer, to transfer it to a sheet of ply first as a pattern board. So my question is, you also transfer the patterns to your lumber your cutting your frames from also and the pattern board is just to lay the cut out pieces to to align?

2. The bottom of my frames if possible are going to be made out of a solid piece of lumber and not joined at the center line out of 2 pieces but just joined at the uprights with gussets? And that is the exception of the one from that connects with the stem, that lower frame piece is in 2 pieces?

It just seems with a few pictures I have seen of the frames, especially the 2 that join the centerboard trunk, have center gussets.

I am a hobbyist wood worker ( work 2 jobs so I know it’s going to be a long project, but looking forward to that) that would really love to pull this project off. 62 so I would like to get her done in a year or so if reasonable. I plan on building my frames over winter.

I would really appreciate any guidance or correction on the above questions. Thanks a bunch. Joe

Ps my next questions will most likely be about the transom and over cutting but, I think I may kinda understand that. I am reading “boat building with plywood” now, so hoping it will also help in understanding.

Roberta

Re: A couple new builder questions

Post by Roberta » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:53 pm

When building a boat, you will need a table or space large enough to lay out the largest frame in order to properly assemble it. Use the patterns to draw the full size frame on it using transfer paper or use a pin to punch tiny holes in the shape of the frame. Then the framing can be aligned on the table and assembled on the pattern you drew. Transfer paper can be used to make a mirror of the have frame drawings or you could have the patterns copied in mirror image and join them for a full pattern.

if you have wood sufficiently wide enough, cut all pieces in full width. If they are "V'd" too greatly, then you need to cut a left and right side and join them with a floor timber. Patterns will show this.

Parts shape can be transferred using transfer paper directly to the wood or use the pin punch method. Some people make patterns from heavy card stock.

Here are some pictures of framing and a layout table to give you an idea of a way to get started. Search the Archive Photos as there are some Glen L 14 boats being constructed and this will also help you.

Roberta
Attachments
Pattern placed on wood and pin used to transfer shape to wood.
Pattern placed on wood and pin used to transfer shape to wood.
Pin marks on wood and pencil used to draw shape guided by pin holes.
Pin marks on wood and pencil used to draw shape guided by pin holes.
Pieces cut and sanded to final shape
Pieces cut and sanded to final shape
My work table with frame patters drawn on it.
My work table with frame patters drawn on it.
Frame pieces are set in place and nails used to hold in place when gluing.
Frame pieces are set in place and nails used to hold in place when gluing.
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:16 pm

If pieces are mirror image... Cut two just alike and turn one over.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Joe03

Post by Joe03 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Thanks folks, I kinda figured it would be traced on both and use the pattern board to align all. It takes awhile, but with help I’m sure I will finally get it. Joe

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:52 pm

I lay the plans over a sheet of 1/4” regular plywood with transfer paper between and make templates. Instead of using pins like others do, I use a seamstress wheel to carefully transfer the entire image to the template plywood.
I cut the templates out and sand them as necessary to get them exact when layed over the plans.
Good luck, it’s a wonderful journey building your own boat,
Matt B
Attachments
50E5FE97-28B9-4049-BC4F-5E2D32647112.jpeg

Joe03

Post by Joe03 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:41 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:52 pm
I lay the plans over a sheet of 1/4” regular plywood with transfer paper between and make templates. Instead of using pins like others do, I use a seamstress wheel to carefully transfer the entire image to the template plywood.
I cut the templates out and sand them as necessary to get them exact when layed over the plans.
Good luck, it’s a wonderful journey building your own boat,
Matt B
So what I’m looking at there is the plywood template’s. And you just trace the template on to you lumber your using? Seems like a good idea along with another sheet to align it all?
I guess my only concern, is getting the plans transferred. I was thinking of using the folded over carbon paper but, also like the seamstress wheel.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:59 am

Yep, that’s the idea.
After I have the plywood templates cutout I lay them over the plans to make sure they are dead on. It seems like the parts tend to grow a little proud during the transfer and cutout process so I sand the templates back to size so they lay over the plans perfectly. I don’t use the word “perfectly” very often in boat construction.

Matt B

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:52 am

Joe,

After the template is perfected, use the template to mark the lumber, cut the lumber with the resulting pieces being slightly oversized. Then clamp or double-stick tape the template to the piece and use a template bit in a router to trim the piece to exactly match the template. It is a really handy way to get both sides of the aft floor timbers exactly the same.

Tom

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:56 pm

I made my templates out of 1/2" mdf. It's easy to shape to the marking line with a pattern makers rasp and sand paper. The 1/2" mdf gives plenty of surface for the flush trim router bit to "ride on".
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Joe03

Post by Joe03 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks folks, your great tips, ideas in my head, and getting ready. Keep you all posted.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”