ext ply vs marine

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

be_heard

ext ply vs marine

Post by be_heard »

Hi all. I am in the planning stages of my squirt build and was interested in what your opinions are on using ext grade ply instead of marine ply as it would be my first build and I have and issue with cutting into several $130 peaces of ply with out totally knowing what Im doing as this is my first boat build. my plan is to encapsulate the hole thing in cloth and epoxy. which is going to make it heavy to begin with so the added weight of ext ply is not such a concern. the boat is not going to spend any significant time unused in the water and i plan to store it properly in the winter. does anyone have any recommendations in this regard.

thanks BRIAN

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV »

The problem with ext ply is that it has voids in the middle layers and usually has fewer layers.

For the first couple of hull pieces I made, I used a piece of similar sized cheapy ply and made a template, then cut the expensive stuff.

Also, $130 a sheet sounds very high. Since you are thinking about using ext ply you will probably be painting the hull, no need for the expensive stuff. Down here a sheet of 1/4 Aquatek (meranti) ply runs about $35-$45 for a 4x8 sheet, 3/8 is about $50 and 3/4 tops out around $75

be_heard

Post by be_heard »

ok good too know however my local supplier is available at http://www.noahsboatbuilding.com/noahs/ ... =0&Tp=&Bc=
and my understanding of the current relationship between metric ply and imperial ply is that 3/4 ends up between 16 and 18 mm which puts it between 108 and 130 a sheet. maybe im looking at the wrong thing.
thanks Brian

GeorgeD

Post by GeorgeD »

Hi Brian,

CAD128, that's about USD127 or GBP65 by my calculations. I just paid GBP120 incl tax (CAD235!!!) for a full 4" x 8" (1220mm x 2500mm) sheet of 18mm (3/4 inch) 9 ply Robbins Elite Marine Ply for the Stem, Transom and Breasthook of my Zip build so I dont think yours sounds too bad.

I know the Pound is strong but...I can't believe the guys in the US get this stuff for less than $75! :shock:

Here is what I got for my money:

The sales blurb says "Manufactured from selected Gaboon (Okoume) veneers throughout"

All the best,
GeorgeD
What's the rush? Getting it finished?!
Zip project started: January 2008
Project site: http://www.hartdale.co.uk/blog/

be_heard

Post by be_heard »

thanks GeorgeD

comfyoldshoe

Post by comfyoldshoe »

"Also, $130 a sheet sounds very high. Since you are thinking about using ext ply you will probably be painting the hull, no need for the expensive stuff. Down here a sheet of 1/4 Aquatek (meranti) ply runs about $35-$45 for a 4x8 sheet, 3/8 is about $50 and 3/4 tops out around $75"

FDMSIV, may I ask where you get marine ply at these prices? I was quoted $112/sheet 1/4 fir marine ply at a lumber yard on the MS coast.

Thank,
Mike
Think big and your deeds will grow
Think small and you'll fall behind
If you think you can, you will
It's all in the state of mind

semerje

Post by semerje »

marine ply is about the same as FDMSIV said where i am. Maine

FDMSIV

Post by FDMSIV »

I had to buy some fir ply and it was around $140 for a 1/4 sheet.

I would stay away from the fir ply, it is just too much of a pain to deal with. There are better and cheaper alternatives

HouTexBBC

Post by HouTexBBC »

FDMSIV's prices are about right for what I've seen on the meranti.

I too wouldn't fool with fir, especially at those prices. Meranti is everwhere, better than fir, and less expensive.

Dennis

Amm

Post by Amm »

I too wouldn't fool with fir, especially at those prices. Meranti is everwhere, better than fir, and less expensive.

Dennis
I thought Meranti was heavier, not as strong, a little less expensive, and checked less than Douglas Fir Marine Grade Plywood.

I just bought some DF Marine Plywood, special ordered through Home Depot. The following is what I paid.

3/4 AB Marine Plywood - $65
1/2 AB Marine Plywood - $49
1/4 AB Marine Plywood - $42

Fifty Plus

Post by Fifty Plus »

I like the Meranti because of the # of plys:
1/4 - 3 ply
1/2 - 9 ply
3/4 - 13 ply

I think it is plenty strong enough for what we use it for.
It is heavier, but not cheaper.

Carl

J Patroni

Post by J Patroni »

Boulter Plywood: Somerville, MA
Okoume AB BS 1088

1/4" (6MM) 5 ply. 1.78 lbs per square foot.

4' x 8' ------------------------$ 69.00
5' x 10' ----------------------$ 129.00
4' x 16' (scarfed) -----------$ 179.00

The B side on the material I purchased looked as clean as the A side.
While the prices may be a little higher than DF Marine plywood, this is well worth the extra quality you get. I didn't hesitate to buy this material.

But then, I was never the type to buy lesser quality material to save a buck for any project I had. It is my theory that you may pay a little more up front for better material, but it becomes much cheaper later on. I hate to do things twice. Once is enjoyable, twice -------------------------------?
If you don't build it now, You will regret it later! Already regreting it

Crackerbox Build
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/

Checkmate Restoration
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0Starflite

J Patroni

Post by J Patroni »

Correction on the weight per square foot of the Okoume AB BS1088
1/4" 5 ply plywood.

NOT 1.78 lbs per square foot.

It is .562 lbs per square foot.

Sorry!
If you don't build it now, You will regret it later! Already regreting it

Crackerbox Build
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee255/jtpatronimfg/

Checkmate Restoration
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0Starflite

Petruzzi

Post by Petruzzi »

I used 1/4" AB ext ply on my eightball, fiberglassed the hull and painted it with marine grade paint. No problems with it yet and it sits threw the winter uncovered in the back yard on the ground. it was just a practice boat but still using that method this boat has been like that for the apst 6 years and no problems seen with the hull.
bugging the Glen L staff since the 10th grade ;-)

shandman

Post by shandman »

J Patroni wrote:Boulter Plywood: Somerville, MA
Okoume AB BS 1088
Joe, How did they pack the boards for shipping? Did you have them ship to your home or place of business?
-Art

Return to “Wood and Plywood”