Best substitution for Honduras Mahogany

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

windancer

Best substitution for Honduras Mahogany

Postby windancer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi, I'm getting ready to start building the Malahini and when I went to my local hardwood supplier they informed me that Hondorus Mahogany is pretty much not available and very expensive. They suggested Khar or Sapelle which I believe are both from Africa. Can anyone suggest what might be the best substitution.

ttownshaw

Re: Best substitution for Honduras Mahogany

Postby ttownshaw » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Sapelle, Douglas Fir, White Oak are all fine. Some boards, just like anything, are better than others. Find a good reputable source locally that will let you pick your own boards.

I love White Oak but you do have to be a little more thoughtful with how you use it with epoxy.

Read the website about boatbuilding woods and get the book Boat Building with Plywood...

Glad to have you aboard!
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

kens

Postby kens » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:59 pm

I got Sapele and I love it. Glues well, and is quite pretty.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

AaronStJ

Postby AaronStJ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:03 pm

I'm not aware of any wood called Khar - I'm guessing you mean Khaya, aka African Mahogany, which is supposed to be very similar to Honduran Mahogany. I'm using Dark Red Meranti, aka Philipine Mahogony - from Crosscut Hardwoods down in SoDo. The wood is easy to work with and pretty, though not as pretty as other Mahogony species. Crosscut Hardwoods also has various thicknesses of nice 1088 Okume plywood. The Meranti is pretty cheap, but the plywood is not. I like the place and the people. I'd recommend a visit (if that isn't who you already saw).

windancer

Postby windancer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Sorry about the typo. Yes I ment Khaya and Sapella. I am very familiar with Crosscut and I was just there today talking with the guys. Great group of folks. Curious though If I use one of those woods along with their Okume plywood if there wood be too many different wood colors going on. Much prefer sticking with one. Have yet to talk with Edensaw. I think these are the only 2 local sources for the woods that might work for my build.
Anyone with any other point of view or suggestion?

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:39 pm

windancer wrote: Curious though If I use one of those woods along with their Okume plywood if there wood be too many different wood colors going on.

If you are finishing the topsides bright, you might use Sapele, instead of Okume ply. it would require heavy coloration to make Okume match.
here is the info from one of my suppliers with photos of the wood. from the sounds of the posts you, have similar sources in your area-

http://boulterplywood.com/MarinePlywood_4.htm
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:38 pm

windancer wrote:Hi, I'm getting ready to start building the Malahini and when I went to my local hardwood supplier they informed me that Hondorus Mahogany is pretty much not available and very expensive. They suggested Khar or Sapelle which I believe are both from Africa. Can anyone suggest what might be the best substitution.

I have to ditto a number of comments. I used Sapelle for my brightwork and really pleased with it. The grain is heavier that Okoume which I find attractive

White oak is a great frame material but as Bill comments, caution with the epoxy. White oak is so tight grained that epoxy can fail at times. Both Bill and I have had issues with epoxy failures on pieces under stress such as the chines.

You have a lot of options in woods. I might suggest you purchase small pieces of a number of species you like and try out various finishes.

Good luck and POST LOTS OF PICTURES. We LOVE pictures!!!!!!
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Iggy

Postby Iggy » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 pm

I am also building the Malahini.

I purchased Sapele for my lumber and Maranti for my plywood. The Sapele was $6.50 a boardfoot (Canadian) and worth every penny so far. Beautiful and the epoxy seems to take it nicely.

I chose Meranti over Okume as Meranti is stronger as I understand it, and Okume seems to better fit for smallers boats where weight is a bigger issue. BS1088 Meranti is what I got, and it looks great so far.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

kens

Postby kens » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:39 pm

Ditto on Iggy' post.
Sapelle lumber & Meranti ply is a good combination of price and quality.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:44 am

kens wrote:Ditto on Iggy' post.
Sapelle lumber & Meranti ply is a good combination of price and quality.

...Windancer was asking for the BEST substitution for Honduras Mahogany and Okume
i would agree that Meranti plywood is the better price but no where near the best in appearance for something that you are finishing bright.
Sapelle plywood is by far superior in color, grain pattern and depth.

windancer

Postby windancer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:01 am

Right now, the only plywood I can find in the Seattle ares locally stocked is Okume. Any thoughts?

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:41 am

looks like you have contacted the major ones.
a few other people in your area were talking about:

http://www.westwindhardwood.com/

and

Olson Lumber
9300 Aurora N
Seattle, Washington 98103
(206) 523-7777

AaronStJ

Postby AaronStJ » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:04 pm

When I called Olson Lumber, they only had Douglas Fir marine plywood. As for Okume, I like it. It's light and strong, and easy to work with. It looks pretty good - though maybe not as good some other hard wood plywoods.

Here's a photo of my El Toro that shows how Meranti lumber and Okume plywood look together. It's very simply finished with a couple of coats of Varathane:

windancer

Postby windancer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks for the photo. Are you going to with a clear coat finish? Are you going to do some staining to make the two woods match? Also, were did you get the Meranti? I can only find sources for Khayah and Sapelle.

AaronStJ

Postby AaronStJ » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm

The boat in the photo I posted is my already-finished El Toro sailing dinghy. The wood is stained; it is varnished with - off the top of my head - four coats of Varathane oil based spar urethane. Nothing fancy at all.

For the boat I'm currently building, I plan on taking much more care to get a high quality finish. My plan is to paint the outside of the hull, paint the bilges with epoxy garage floor paint, finish the cockpit bright (haven't decided if I want to stain or not), and have a traditional planked deck look - probably using a Sapele veneer, although that's a ways off.

I've been buying my Meranti at Crosscut hardwoods. They usually have 4/4 and 5/4 S2S stock, often in very long lengths, and usually there's a bit of 4/4 S4S in the back, but I haven't usually been very impressed with it.

Return to “Wood and Plywood”