cutting out plywood

See: "Useful Information and Suppliers" for a list of lumber and plywood suppliers. Also see: "Wood & Plywood Information". Both located in the left-hand column of the Home page.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Chris_R

cutting out plywood

Post by Chris_R »

hi,
I just got my plans for the "feather" sailboat and cant for the life of me figure out how to transfer the plans onto the plywood for cutting out. I was thinking maybe photocopying them, but I dont have a big enough photocopier. any ideas?
Chris
PS: sorry if this has been asked before, if so, please direct me to the correct post.

DaveLott

Re: cutting out plywood

Post by DaveLott »

Hello Chris - Carbon Paper

You can buy large sheets from our hosts here at Glen -L. Or you can buy the packs of carbon paper at Staples (or similar).
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

Chris_R,

Dave's right, you can use carbon paper. I, however, made copies of the plans on a plotter/copier at work (kinko's can do this too) and cut the plans out...I know you're not supposed to do this, but I did anyway. To get the wrinkles out of the plans you can iron them with a warm iron (no steam).
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow »

If your plans are like mine, many of the patterns are "half patterns", so you will use the same pattern for the Left and Right side. Some times this means two identical pieces. Some times, you man need to cut one piece that spans the centreline. an example of this would be the transom.

Here are a couple of extra tricks for the case where you use the half pattern to produce a part that spans the centre line of the boat.

1) Cut little 1/4" square "locating holes" in the paper pattern where the Centre Line crosses the frame outline. These will help you to ensure you are in alignment for the second side.

2) Use two sheets of carbon paper... one facing the wood, and one facing the back of your pattern. That way, when you turn the pattern over to trace the other side of the frame, you can see the line.

3) Get one of those sewing "spikey wheel thingys" to trace the pattern.

I hope this helps.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

Someone else mentioned a pizza cutter to transfer the pattern through the carbon paper to the wood.

That is a pretty hull.

Post pics so we can see as you build and help others

Chris_R

Post by Chris_R »

thanks guys! I like the Carbon copy idea... ill be sure to post pictures!

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Chris_R wrote:thanks guys! I like the Carbon copy idea... ill be sure to post pictures!

Chris - Be sure to stretch out or iron out the fold marks in your plans otherwise your reference marks will be off.

Case in point
Reference marks.jpg
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Chris_R

Post by Chris_R »

I can understand how the reference points would work with straight lines, but how would that work with curved ones?

Two J's

Post by Two J's »

If you are using the back to back carbon paper I found a good way to transfer the lines is to use one of those little roller tools that are made to force the rubber in the track on screen doors. I think I paid $1.99 or so at Lowe's for one.
Jim :D

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC »

I use tracing paper sheets, 19"x24". I can see the wood under the paper andt let's me arrange the parts with less waste.

Here is my process.

1). I trace from the plan onto the tracing paper
2). Ruff trim the paper part, within a 1/4".
3). Spray a very fine mist of 3M77 spray adhesive on the back side of the tracing paper.
4). Place paper part onto the wood and lightly rub down.
5). Cut part out just to the outside of the line.
6). Sand to the line either by hand or power.

If there is more than one of the same part (left and a right) I used double sided tape and stick the two parts together before cutting. I cut and sand them as one piece. Operations such as drilling, I do before separating them. Everything is the same from one part to another.
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Return to “Wood and Plywood”