AWWW the guys cook too!

This is for posting recipes of the dishes prepared for the Gathering. This section is for the Gathering WOMEN. This Forum is now locked--if you wish to add a recipe, please email it to Glen-L.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

upspirate

AWWW the guys cook too!

Postby upspirate » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:18 pm

Aww come on, A lot of the guys cook too!! :wink:

Gayle Brantuk

Re: AWWW the guys cook too!

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:33 pm

This was Lauren's idea, so we'll see what she says... you don't mess with a Lola.

Pirate's Wench

Postby Pirate's Wench » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:11 pm

Well if Lola instigated this, then I guess I'm Ok with it. I did want to mention that one of the great things that I have enjoyed about all the Gatherings is having a wonderful group of men cooking delicious meals for me! Call me spoiled, I don't care. :D
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Foxfire Brunswick Stew

2 pounds cooked ground beef
1 pound cooked ground pork or 2 pounds mild sausage
1 small cooked chicken chopped
3-4 diced potatoes
1 pint kernel corn
1 cup lima beans
2-3 diced carrots
2-3 chopped onion
1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
Catsup
Chili powder
Salt
Black pepper & red pepper
French’s Worcestershire sauce
Chicken broth

Grill the meat. The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and simmer a long time. You can can it.

If you are planning to make a big batch to use a few days later keep the meat separate. With the meat in it is too easy to scorch when you reheat the stew.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:52 pm

Hummmm, I may do this with my deer meat this year. Ya know, 7 jars, just a small batch... mmm mmmm good!

Pirate's Wench

Postby Pirate's Wench » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:55 pm

Thanks Bill! Yum yum!! :D
~~~Never walk in the footsteps of others, or you won’t leave any of your own.~~~

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:10 pm

I'll post this 1st 8)

Canned Deer Meat

Now I use all the left over pieces of hind quarter after I have cut the steaks out of that prime piece :D to make my canned deer meat. Also the front shoulder meat.
Now I clean out all gristle and cut into 1" square pieces
Fill jar leaving 1" head space
1 tablespoon salt
install lid (you know how, only 2 fingers tight)
Pressure cook @ 10psi for 90 minutes
Let pressure fall naturally if not the liquid in the jar from the meat will come out I have found.
After psi is gone remove and let cool
Set in pantry on shelf and have for anytime you are ready for a dish that requires meat!

One of my favorites is CURRY!! Yep, working overseas for so many years curry is one of my favorites.... DeerTips Rice and gravy can be ready in 20 minutes! Deer Meat Stroganoff can also be ready in under 30. It's soooooo tender! Pour off wader and put on light bread and mayo! MMM MM MMMM!!!!!!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:33 am

So, the only recipes posted are from men :?: :lol:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Pirate's Wench

Postby Pirate's Wench » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:38 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:So, the only recipes posted are from men :?: :lol:

Bill

He he.. I noticed that too! Way to go guys!!

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:48 am

Pirate's Wench wrote:
Bill Edmundson wrote:So, the only recipes posted are from men :?: :lol:

Bill

He he.. I noticed that too! Way to go guys!!

:lol: some of us men had to learn to cook my first wife couldn't for sure she burned water to this day I don't care for mac and cheese you can eat it to often about the only thing she could cook :lol: :roll:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:08 am

My second wife made tuna noodle casserole,but forgot to cook the noodles before putting it in the oven!!!

The wench however cooks excellent...right Dear?? :wink: :D

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:13 am

upspirate wrote:My second wife made tuna noodle casserole,but forgot to cook the noodles before putting it in the oven!!!

The wench however cooks excellent...right Dear?? :wink: :D

:lol: well thats good I had a girl friend who one time backed me a apple pie and for got to put any thickning in and didn't take out the seeds :roll: I eat it anyway :lol:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

Lola

Postby Lola » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks to the guys who have posted recipes. Peggy Larkin approached me at the gathering and suggested we put together a recipe book. I thought it was a spendid idea since food is becoming an additional highlight of the gatherings. I will get all the recipes together and make some attempt at a "book" to be available next year. I do need more recipes. Ken, I need your Low Country Boil. Someone brings some really good corn bread that is a big hit. I need Keith's receipe for "Grog". Even if you haven't brought it to a gathering but make a really great dish you want to share...please post it. I would love to have a great collection of recipes from all of the regions we have represented. Please indulge me and start posting.
Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter and people who matter don't mind.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:43 am

here is one for you
Amish trash can supper0001.JPG
feeds many and a new cleaned trash can is used
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Lola wrote: Even if you haven't brought it to a gathering but make a really great dish you want to share...please post it. I would love to have a great collection of recipes from all of the regions we have represented. Please indulge me and start posting.

Lola, I ain't even brought myself to a Gathering yet but when we go fishing or just camp'n I do a lot of dutch oven cook'n. One dish everyone ALWAYS enjoys is the Southern Breaky.

40 Hot Coals
14" Dutch Oven
1 1/2 Doz Eggs
1 lb colby jack cheese grated
1 1/2 lb breakfast sausage (I used deer saus)
6 med taters grated (enough to make about 1" coverage in bottom of DO)
Olive Orl
Salt and Pepper ta taste

Start coals and let them get nice and white all over then put in pile. Set the 14" DO on coals and add some orl in it. Meanwhile have a helper grating cheese and taters. Brown sausage till nice and crispy then remove. Add taters and brown into hashbrowns. Once hashbrowns are ready put a layer of cheese, then sausage. Beat the eggs up real good and put on top then the rest of the cheese. Put lid on and move most of the coals to the top.

Now when cook'n with a DO you must rotate the Oven to the right 1/4 turn and then the lid to the left 1/4 turn every 5 to 10 minutes depending on how hot it's cooking so that the heat is kept even. As it cooks you may want to remove the coals from the bottom as it will burn if it gets too hot. Cook till eggs are done and serve with the sour dough biscuits ya made in teh 12" oven. :-)

MMM MMM GOOD!!!!!

Return to “Gathering Recipes”