Spring Fling on Table Rock

ttownshaw

Spring Fling on Table Rock

Postby ttownshaw » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:17 am

All, please chime in with opinions on dates, level of interest, and so on...

I cut-n-pasted-edited this from Dave Lott:

We are planning a mini-get together in the spring time for the midwest guys that don't come to the BIG G and those that can't wait a whole year to get together again?

We have between 8-10 lakes within a few hours drive but Table Rock fits the bill for most of our needs

I know of a number of resorts but one particular one has served a number of boat gatherings. Rock Lane on the Indian Point. It is a "resort" on a small peninsula with private ramp, docks, fuel, pavilion, picnic tables, hotel style accomodations, pool, restaurant and bar.

If we do this, I recommend in early or mid May. April is too iffy for temperature and beginning Memorial Day the lower main lake area is TOOOOOOOO busy with recreationists.

So Bill and I would like some input. This is intended only to serve the midwest regional get-together for those who find traveling down to the BIG G too far or for those of us that just can't wait a whole year without getting together again.

This can also serve as a mini taste of what the Big Gathering is like.

Please chime in with your level of interest and ideas on it being held in May.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

BayouBengal

Re: Spring Fling on Table Rock

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:03 am

I'd be pretty interested in attending. On a scale 1 - 10, my level of interest is 8.5.

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 am

Bill,
I've been thinking about doing the same thing out this way in the spring ever since we talked at G4. Should we call these regional gatherings "Mini Gatherings" or "Regional Gatherings" and have several of them all over the country each spring? I think a weekend or two before Memorial day weekend would be a good one for temps and before the lakes get busy.

Honestly, Table Rock is a lot farther drive for me than G4 was. I'd say Im only about a 6 out of 10. But I am willing to host one in southern Indiana if anyone else is interested PM me and we will do it.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:26 am

:roll: in my case table rock is closer but still pretty far away and I can only think of maybe myself and a guy up in Idaho who I haven't seen much on forum in this area things seem to get spread out farther west you go. I will have to wait and see what things are doing at the time of spring gather :roll:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:41 am

Should we call these regional gatherings "Mini Gatherings" or "Regional Gatherings" and have several of them all over the country each spring?
Somewhere on this forum recently, Bill Edmundson, the Gathering Godfather, stated something to the nature of "just post where you'll be, when you'll be there, and that you'll have some food, then let the rest take care of itself." So, I guess these meetings don't really need a name. In that light, I'll announce that at some time in the Future, FabricFlyer and myself will probably get together again on the Tchefuncte River at the boat ramp in Covington, Louisiana. I'll keep you posted as to when that may be, anyone and everyone is welcome to join in.

But it sounds like TTown and Dave Lott are trying to do something bigger than a meeting of just a few folks, but maybe not as big as the Gathering has grown. I applaud their initiative and will probably attend. Thanks Dave and TTown for working on this.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:33 am

I like the "Spring Fling" name. That's a good title. I'll see what I can do about making it.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:41 pm

OK you guys cant make all these "spring fling, mini gatherings, no name get togethers" on the same weekend. somebody is going to try to make them all. :D
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 pm

I was just looking at the map between Clarksville, Tennessee and Branson, Missouri. It's a distance of 423 miles. For me, that's not a bad day's drive. However, there is a LOT of 2 lane along that route. I would basically lose the interstate around Paducah, Ky. YeeHaw.

Actually, that might make the trip better. There would be more scenery than some dumb old super slab.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:39 pm

:roll: 20 hour drive for me still 1274 miles :cry:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

thudpucker

Postby thudpucker » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:09 pm

"Spring fling" is that another way of saying "Drive by Boat launching?

I'll look up Table Rock, see what state its in. "Share the ride and costs" might be an option for some of us.

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:12 am

I would really like to make one with my ole skiff in may but we gots us a young'n on the way. It'll be here in April if God's a will'n and the creek don't rise. :D

Maybe one day I can make one of these! It looks like my cup O tea. I wanna ride in Kens Double Eagle SOOOO BAD.

I'll have my Atlantic Skiff one day!

GLH

Postby GLH » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:59 am

Dave Grayson, highway 60 across Misouri is almost all divided. The cutoff between Paduka (sp) and Wickliff KY is the narrowest stretch of road. I used to go that direction when drag racing in Florida. I would be interested in going, but have not built a boat yet. I do have a Starcraft aluminum Super Sport that we bought new in 1968.

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:46 am

Cool! That's good to know.

Having a boat is NOT a requirement for attendance at the Gathering and I feel I can safely say the same thing for the Spring Fling. What is required is an interest in boats that people build themselves.

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:06 am

It's a long way from California, but I would be interested in comming. Again, I'd have to fly to Ohio and then trailer the jet squirt back, but that's do-able - I trailered my big boat from Columbus to Lake of the Ozarks in one day, and it doesn't look like Table Rock is all that much farther - not a heck of a lot farter than Hales Bar. My only real reservation would be how early in "spring" we are contemplating. I'd much prefer early June, just after school is out so that I could bring a couple of the grandkids.

Peace,

TRM

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:27 am

I'd much prefer early June, just after school is out so that I could bring a couple of the grandkids.
Don't know if you'll be able to this. Their grandmother may not approve of subjecting her grandkids to the likes of a bunch of Redneck Internet Boat Builders. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Spring-Fling 2011 (ANOTHER Gathering of Glen-L Boatbuilders)”