Let's decide what dates for "The Gathering."

What time of year would make you the happiest?

Spring - mid May while off season rates still apply
5%
Late Summer - mid September when off season rates are back in force but water is still warm
21%
Fall - end of October when the weather is crisp and the fall colors peak
74%

Total votes: 19

kens

Postby kens » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:29 pm

I didnt have the Sweet Caroline, but a very similar skiff. I had a 25 Merc, it ran 18kts.
The other guy had Sweet Caroline with a 40. Sweet Caroline is sweet with 40-50hp. Remember these are flat bottom boats, get them humming along real fast and you get beat up in 6" chop. We were in a bay large enough for aircraft carriers, so we always had at least some chop, if not outright bad weather.

Falcon

Sweet Caroline with a 40.

Postby Falcon » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:45 pm

good to here, so i gess 250 lbs of moter will be ok? i am installing a 20 hp. aircolled wisconson inboard , turning a 13" prop, i am not sure of the gearing yet but one thing at a time:)
port.
Be who you are, say what you want those that mind don't matter an those that matter wont mind.
http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k299/falcon6667/

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:50 pm

Hey Dave,
Have you looked into that post awhile back saying that the particular weekend we had chosen was a special weekend in that part of town so the lodging rates might be high or vacancys rare?
Steve

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:51 pm

narduccimarine wrote:I dont know if anyone mentioned it, and I tried to read all the posts, but the last 2 weeks of October are the color cruise dates. Its a great time on the river and a lot to do but... the marinas usually charge +++ over the regular rates.
Not to discourage anyone because it is a great 2 weekends in the area and a lot of activity for that time of year. The trip between Guntersville and Chattanooga is beautiful this time of the year.
The activity used to center around Shellmound just upstream of the Nickajack dam, but now is at Goosepond which is really a better place.
Bob

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:58 pm

We'd already decided to go the State Park route. That's not etched in stone just yet because I haven't locked it in. My work is bonkers right now and I'm so busy I can't think straight.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Postby kens » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:19 am

What?? Wasnt it already posted for the 27-28 October. Yes, exactly on the autumn color dates per the poll. Some folks have already called in reservations. I called in and found no problem, no extra charges either.

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:00 am

Kens,

I remembered that post about the season and the special activities going on during that time frame and I was not sure if anyone had checked it out..but it seems that you have and everything will be just fine for that time ...so off we go...where are you staying?

Steve

kens

Postby kens » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:06 pm

I called for reservations the same day you guys settled on the 27-28 Oct. '07. No problem with the cabins, I was the first reservation for fall of '07. Prices were as posted on their website.
The hotel is under renovation and is to be finished by then. There is also chalets up on the hill.
I heard that Huntsville is a mere 25 minutes away. Also the floating condos in the webletter. Lots of options for accomodations here.

I do understand the wants of folks to go skiing/wakeboarding/swimming and such. However, we did discuss it and posted a poll, resulting in the 27-28 Oct.

May I suggest that we all get together then, to discuss the second rendezvous, accomodating the water-sports. Although my own idea of water-sports is showers & hot tubs!!!!

Lets all make a success of the 1st gathering, and from there we can persue a gathering for water sports. I think it would be a kick pulling skiers with my Lobster Boat!

narduccimarine

Postby narduccimarine » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:45 pm

Is anyone planning on going to the antique and classic in the water show at Wheeler state Park? Its the 2nd or 3rd week of July.
I am going to bring my crackerbox, the wife and I are planning on going by water, its only 30 miles, and staying at the lodge. It should be a great show, I went a few years back and it was very nice.
I just don't understand, I cut that plank twice and its still too short
http://www.narduccimarine.freehosting.net

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:39 am

If my Zip is completed, I would like to attend Wheeler. It's even closer for me than Gunters. Besides, seeing those classics always gets me fired up.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

narduccimarine

Postby narduccimarine » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:29 am

Great Dave,
It would be good to see you in person. Do you travel down this way much?
If you do , try to come by and see my project, I will be working on it all winter!
Bob
I just don't understand, I cut that plank twice and its still too short

http://www.narduccimarine.freehosting.net

John K

Postby John K » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:42 am

Where is Wheeler State Park? I may come with or without a boat.

Also, is there any interest in bringing boats to Weiss Lake in NE Alabama. I have been thinking about trying to organize a classis boat show along with the Liberty Celebration. There usually are about 300 antique cars and this year they had NEW boats. If there is enough that would come, I would contact the committee and see if we could get some space to have our boats or have a boat parade.

The Liberty Celebration is the weekend before the 4th of July.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:11 pm

Wheeler is just down river from Guntersville. Weiss is a nice lake also. With a 1000 or so lakes to choose from, we finally said that one on guntersville.

Come on John K you're close by!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:21 pm

Maybe I will cruise to Wheeler on the Harley. I hope to have made a decision by them of which boat to build...I looked under my side of the bed last night and I found plans and patters for the flying saucer...didnt even know I had those...full plans for a 14ft tug boat, plans and patterns for the dyno jet....plans patterns and frame kit for the squirt...I am soooo much worse than a female right now !! I cannot seem to make a decision !

Steve

Wait,...I have the study plans for the Jack Tar and the Pot luck too !!!! :roll:

John K

Postby John K » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:57 am

Come on John K you're close by!

Bill, I am planning on coming to Guntersville and maybe Wheeler also. I just would like to get something going here at Weiss with the Freedom Festival. There are a few classic and wood boats, but if anyone would like to join in is the reason for the post.

Return to “Gathering 2007”