Let's decide what dates for "The Gathering."

What time of year would make you the happiest?

Spring - mid May while off season rates still apply
5%
Late Summer - mid September when off season rates are back in force but water is still warm
21%
Fall - end of October when the weather is crisp and the fall colors peak
74%

Total votes: 19

terrymc

Post by terrymc » Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Greg,

Wow, did your instructions bring back some memories! Back in the early '90s I got transferred from Cleveland Ohio to Huntsville AL. My son was not quite through his junior year in high school, and we didn't want to make him change schools, so my wife styed with him in Cleveland, I got an appartment in Huntsville, and I commuted home on weekends for a little over a year. About half your instructions were turn for turn the route I took!

For what it's worth, it's not a bad drive (actualy pretty picturesque in some places). Madison AL (just west of Huntsville) to Mentor, OH (just east of Cleveland) - 675 miles one way. My best time was 9 hrs 17 minutes door to door (do the math!)

Peace,

TRM

GregH

Post by GregH » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Terry;

The drive I know would be a very varied and beautiful one. I have not been south of Cleveland in that part of the US, so to would also be an
opportunity. I've been to CL 2x for conference and each time it took just about 12hrs incl border (pre 911) and meal/washroom breaks.

Depending on the traffic through Toronto, it's about 6hr to Detroit fomr home.
I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:25 am

GregH wrote:Terry;

The drive I know would be a very varied and beautiful one. I have not been south of Cleveland in that part of the US, .
Well, here's a small description of basically what it all looks like:

From Cleveland to Cincinatti, you could expect to find loads of Ohio farmland. It looks not unlike western Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri and Kansas. You will quicky see why the U.S. has been reffered to as the "bread basket of the world." Corn, wheat and soybeans are eveywhere here in the summers. When you get to the southern end of Ohio, you should choose whether to go through Nashville or Knoxville. If you want Nashville, you can your country music fix and if you opt for Knoxville, you can get scenic mountains to drive through. But Cincinatti is the decision spot. To Nashville, you turn toward Louisville but to Knoxville, you go to Lexington Ky. first. For me personally, I'd go Lexington, Knoxville, Chattanooga and Guntersville. It's as scenic a drive as you're likely to find in the eastern U.S. The mountains are NOT the rugged Rockies but are most certainly mountains none the less.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

kens

Post by kens » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:08 am

Are there more pics from last weeks advance trip?
What marina and/or village will this be held at?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:54 pm

:) My choice is Lake Guntersville State Park. October 18 - 20??? (I don't have an '07 calender right now.).

There are 13 lake side cottages with a pavilion. The boat ramp and the campground are about a mile. There is a primitive boat ramp at the cottages. It is about 10 miles into "Downtown" Guntersville. Holiday Inn on the lake (with dock).

Dave has been in contact with the C of C. Local support looks good!

And, The Lola's may come!http://rustymchugh.com/generic54.html Lord Save US!
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:58 pm

We have to check when the Canadian thanksgiving is so we dont lose all of our friends from the great white north !!

Steve

PS..Are any of those lola's single?...wait...I'm not single..Nevermind!

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:50 am

kens wrote:Are there more pics from last weeks advance trip?
What marina and/or village will this be held at?
My old digital has basically gone the way of the Dodo bird. So I borrowed my brother's awsome Canon SLR digital. Since it had the ability to carry some 750 hi-rez images, I just sprayed all around Guntersville. But then I didn't know how to download it all onto the puter. So my bro burned all the photos to a disc but I've yet to see the darn disc. Maybe tomorrow.

I was going to put this into an article for the newsletter and so I didn't want to tip my hand early so to speak.

I'm with Bill in that the state park is a really, really nice location. It looks like there will be plenty of cabins, there's a pavillion, boat ramps and dock space. Plus the beauty of the place needs to be seen to be apreciated.

My feeling about Signal Point Marina is that everyone was very friendly, very helpful. There is dock space, a boat ramp too but parking will be strained and the pavillion somewhat smallish in comparison to the state park.

There is a 3rd option that I will put into the newsletter. Don't want to tip my hand. But it's a darn cool place and tailor made for what we're looking for.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

GregH

Post by GregH » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:10 am

leakcheck wrote:We have to check when the Canadian thanksgiving is so we dont lose all of our friends from the great white north !!

Steve

PS..Are any of those lola's single?...wait...I'm not single..Nevermind!

Oct 8th weekend 2007 is the Cdn Thanksgiving. It's always same as the Columbus Day weekend as I understand it.

OKOK.. I HAVE to ask... just WHO? WHAT? are the LOLAS? ;)

Greg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:46 pm

Greg,
The Lola's are a group of women who make public appearances to raise money for charity. We have beehive hairdos, 50's style kittycat sunglasses, and the most outlandish outfits you could imagine! It's so bad often we are often mistaken for men in drag. When that happens we are always thrilled because we know we got it right. It's a great grand time for everyone. Some folklore has it that LOLA is an acronym for Ladies of Lower Alabama. That's not true. We invented ourselves after a song by the late Rusty McHugh. Follow the link to our latest pictures...

http://rustymchugh.com/generic54.html

Lola Viv

Yes, two are single! :D If your man enough! :lol: Go to the Rusty home page. You can hear clips of Rusty's music and more. I'll bring CDs to the gathering. BTW: I have no commercial involvement. Just, Fun and Friends! :D

Bill
http://rustymchugh.com/generic.html?pid=24

Stop This! I'm going down to work on a BOAT!
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:51 am

Are the Lolas gonna be the cheerleaders at the $50 boat races??

kens

Post by kens » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:53 am

Oh yeah, I was waiting for someone to come up with an asawa, a Phillippino spouse; Lola in Phillippino is Grandma. Then you guys came up with that!!

GregH

Post by GregH » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:02 am

Hey Bill!

I couldn't tell what outfit you had on in the LOLA pics! I guess it's cause I've bever seen you without the dustmask on! LOL

Greg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 am

I'm in there! :lol: Just not in a costume. :shock:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:44 am

I didnt see the third option?

Steve

kens

Post by kens » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:03 pm

Is the Guntersville Lake part of the Tennessee River/tombigbee canal? The TennTom waterway?

Return to “Gathering 2007”