Let's decide what dates for "The Gathering."

What time of year would make you the happiest?

Spring - mid May while off season rates still apply
5%
Late Summer - mid September when off season rates are back in force but water is still warm
21%
Fall - end of October when the weather is crisp and the fall colors peak
74%

Total votes: 19

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:07 am

Dave...if you are six foot tall you should be around 240..that's the latest from the surgeon general. (Which means I am perfect)

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:09 pm

John,

We'll have a B'day BEER together. 8) I'm 10/26. :o

OK, one more time for Steve. Say it real slow. :P Guntersville. :lol: The state park, Lake Guntersville State Park, has lake side cabins, chalets up on the mountain and a large camp ground. Holiday Inn is also lake side. I think, with a dock.

I'll be looking to get a lake side cabin. :)

We may actually meet somewhere else. But, these are still lodging options.

Unless, Daves option 3 blows this out of the water. The marina we've looked at, Signal Point, does not have lodging.

Bill :wink:
Last edited by Bill Edmundson on Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:08 pm

Okay, I give...what is this mysterious "option 3" that I keep hearing about. ???

Steve

Okay, I will call Lake Hartwell and make reservations.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:33 pm

Can I legally tow two trailers at one time?

Steve

Brian Eager

Post by Brian Eager » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:24 am

Various states may have different regulations, but I know I have seen pick-up truck-fifth-wheel RV-boat combinations on Interstate 69.

One limiting factor is overall length.

State BMV websites may have the info you're looking for.

Brian
Noah was a first-time boatbuilder

GregH

Post by GregH » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:48 am

Dave Grason wrote:Yes, those webletter people are just SO SO SO SO behind the times. JEEZE!

(just kidding Gayle, Barry)

Obviously, with the majority of votes going for the fall color change, the peak would be the last weekend of October. That would make it Oct, 27 & 28, 2007. Everyone OK with that?
I'm in!
I can't do everything, but I can do something.

GregH

Post by GregH » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:52 am

leakcheck wrote:...no one comes empty boated.

Steve
WHAT!!??? hmmm

can I being just my frames then? :D

and a HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

HIPPO, BIRDIES, TWO EWES!
HIPPO, BIRDIES, GET BUILDING THAT BOOOOOAT!

GREG :)
I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:42 pm

Well, I got my article submitted for the newsletter entitled: "Report-Guntersville, An Early Look." I emailed it to Barry today and it will most probably be in the November newsletter. I included a number of pertinent JPGs but I had even more. So I decided I'd post my leftovers here for anyone's viewing.

The first one is someone's houseboat. Yup, there is a satellite dish mounted on this puppy and folks are actually living on it. ...uh, the paddlewheeler, NOT the satellite dish.

Next are 2 photos of a wooden cabin cruiser resting at Signal Point Marina. I took these because I wanted to expand the photos and study the joinery work. When I took the photos, I asked one of the residents if anyone would mind me taking a couple of snaps of this boat and the guy replied that in all the time he's been living there, he's never seen anyone on or around that boat.

This boat is not derteriorating because it's made of wood. It's deteriorating because no one is taking care of it.

Guntersville Chamber of Commerce. This wouldn't be a bad place to have an office job.

And this is the view right in front of the office of the Chamber of Commerce.

Last edited by Dave Grason on Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:28 am

Dave,

So the exact dates are : ?

And what is the "third option" you mentioned and will we have to know about it before we make reservations ?

Steve

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:30 am

The official dates for the Gathering will be October 27&28, 2007. That should give us some very good weather with no sweltering heat, bugs or raucous summertime crowds to content with. The nights will be jacket weather and the days should be warm and comfy. Humidy will be low giving the air a really crisp feeling. Plus all the fall colors will be really close if not right at their peak. BTW, October is traditionally the South's driest month so there should be very little chance of a rain out.

Also, here is a quick photo showing some hint of color change on the trees. This should wet your appetite to the beauty of the place. And this photo was taken well before the color peak.

As far as the 3rd option goes, I'm probably building it up too much but because it's all in the newsletter, I'd really rather wait until the newsletter comes out and then discuss it. I hate to go to all the trouble of composing the article and then working with Barry and using up his time only to then turn around and cool the "sizzle" so to speak.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:49 am

Colors are close to peak in B'ham right now. So, Guntersville should have been near peak this past weekend. Highs 70 - 75 F. Lows 45 - 55 F.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Yup, and notice the "steam" coming off the water? That might mean no swimming ! (Or none of you guys with those wind thingys tipping over)

Steve

kens

Post by kens » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:58 pm

I was raised on the banks of the Ohio River in Kentuckiana. The summers were Memorial Day thru Labor Day. The summers were lousy boating, there was sooooo many pleasure boats out, it was hazardous to be out on the water, boats going every direction with most skippers not paying attention. After Labor Day, all that went away. The rest of september was still hot and humid. Then came October, the best boating time of the year.

John Bowen

Post by John Bowen » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:53 am

Bill, we'll have that B'DAY BEER in Guntersville (maybe two :roll: ).
One day.

chipper

Post by chipper » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:08 am

FALL SOUNDS GREAT TO ME. I AM BUILDING A ZIP WITH A 1961 MERC 500. I WILL BE FLIPING IT THIS WEEK AND SHOULD BE RUNNING BY JULY. DO WE HAVE ANYONE BUILDING A BOAT IN COLUMBIA, SOUTH CAROLINA? :D

Return to “Gathering 2007”