Guntersville Weather Report

Bill Edmundson

Guntersville Weather Report

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:51 am

9/29/07 Clear & Sunny :)

7:30 am 56 Degrees

High Today 86 Degrees
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimmy70

Postby Jimmy70 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:45 am

Bill let us hope it is very nice weather for the gathering. Silly as this weather has been this year I would expect just about anything to happen.
It has been bone dry here in NC this year and more than half of the state is on water rations and looking for water to be shipped from one place to the other. Creeks, rivers and resevoirs drying up.

Just hope we don't have 3 days of crappy weather to contend with.
Jimmy70
Dreams are free, Reality cost money.

kens

Postby kens » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:11 am

Down here in Savannah we had a drought spring, then the summer has been really too wet. Few weeks ago, we got 16" rain on 2 days. Right now all the salt water is pushed out of the estuaries and marshes.
I think October is most reliable for nice weather up there.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:13 am

Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Krugwaffle

Postby Krugwaffle » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:36 am

Every year that I've been up there - and we usually arrive the last weekend of October - the first morning of our vacation has always started out somewhere in the mid 40's. It's so refreshing to go out on the porch and enjoy the first cool dawn after the long, hot, humid summer here in Florida. That moment right there is worth the trip to me. With my cup of hot tea in one hand, a fishing rod in the other.... It's about that time I realize that for the first time in nine months - I've finally stopped sweating!

This year looks like it might be a little different. Summer wants to linger. They had a very late spring. There was a late frost that destroyed the fruit and nut crops throughout the region. We sometimes visit the Crow Mountain orchard up near Scotsboro but this year when I checked their website they said "We're closed - no fruit." Don't even bother to come up because the frost knocked all the blooms off every tree.

Might not have the good bright fall colors either. Last year they were fabulous. I've got some pictures of the areas around the lake when the colors were at their peak. Soon as I can figure how to post to this group, I'll share some. This year's been so dry. When it's like this the leaves are usually dull color and they fall off as soon as they turn.

We'll see.
Enough youth, now how 'bout a fountain of SMART!

Krugwaffle

Postby Krugwaffle » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:09 pm

The long term outlook is beginning to show up on some of the weather sites and right now it's still a toss up as to what the weather will be next weekend.

Wunderground is predicting a 70° high with 30% chance of showers for Friday. Pretty universal/normal sounding forecast so I guess there's really no big weather headed that way. Weather Channel says high 68° low 44° with a 10% chance of rain. Sounds like they're guessing too. If they're right, the weather will be very similar to the first weekend of every vacation we've spent up there since 1996.

So, it looks like it's going to cool down some in time for the festivities.

narduccimarine

Postby narduccimarine » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:51 am

Weather report this AM on Huntsville TV 48, 10-22

Friday 40 % chance of rain
Sat and Sun 70 , full sun 0% rain

Looks like we will be getting the bulk of the rain Tues - Thurs

Looks very nice for the weekend, hope it holds up
Bob
I just don't understand, I cut that plank twice and its still too short
http://www.narduccimarine.freehosting.net

narduccimarine

Postby narduccimarine » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:26 am

Krugwaffle

Postby Krugwaffle » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:20 am

This is the crankiest forum I know of to log in to.

There's one other weather factor that's never predicted in the long range forecasts that can greatly impact whether or not you're going to enjoy your outing, and that's the wind. For the sailboat guys, a good stiff wind is great but I've seen it get pretty rough out there for speedboats. I'm not much of a forecaster when it comes to wind either so it's no tellin' how smooth the water's going to be.

The main body of water is oriented NE to SW so winds along either of those directions can really put some chop on the water. Crosswinds have to be pretty strong to mess things up as the water is shielded by mountains on both sides.

The front that's due to swing through Thursday/Friday could be pretty windy leaving a strong NE for the weekend. That's just my experience with storms down here. I guess we won't know until we get there.

kens

Postby kens » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:25 pm

I'm supposed to have me a blue water boat, so all that chop is exactly what I want to try out.

Krugwaffle

Postby Krugwaffle » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:39 pm

It's doing it again! I swear, it's like groundhog day. Every year we've visited Guntersville, the first day has been an exact duplicate of the first visit. Mid 40's in the morning, gets up to about 70 in the afternoon... Wonderful weather!!!!

We should all get there just in time to see trees turn green again. This is the first rain they've had in months. I've seen it before, they green up real bright, then turn brown and all the leaves fall off in two or three days.

I just hope there's enough water in the pond. Anybody heard anything about water levels? This rain hasn't been enough to amount to a popcorn f*rt as far as water rising. The whole time I've been up there I've never seen the lake level fluctuate more than +/- 1.5 ft. And there's been a few years when it's been dry too. I know they generate power and operate locks so if they ain't had any rain in a while it could get low. I've been hearing about stuff around Atlanta and in other parts that were plumb dried up but I think the water in the Tennessee River comes from different source.

See ya in three days!

kens

Postby kens » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:00 pm

I'm thinking that with that weather front moving thru right now, that should leave sunny weather for the weekend.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:10 pm

I think Ken is right. High pressure from the west should push the rain out.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

narduccimarine

Postby narduccimarine » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:03 am

Weather update
Still looks good

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=4254761

Bob

Bud_Wilson

Water leval at Gunterville

Postby Bud_Wilson » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:51 pm

Krogwaffle The water leval is fine. TVA can hold the water where they wan't and will only use the excess to generate power. I was ther last Sat. 10/20/07 and the water leval is fine. worry about something else. Bud.
Y'All Come Cap'N Bud.

Return to “Gathering 2007”