Last Minute Guntersville question

Boat Builder Newbie

Last Minute Guntersville question

Postby Boat Builder Newbie » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:28 pm

Ok... sorry to start a new post but wanted to make sure I got an answer and not have it burried lower in a thread.

If I were to suddenly break free for on the Guntersville event... any idea on accomodations.? I'm flexible and will have to rent a car anyway... so as long as it is reasonably near the event (at least close enough to avoid a DUI :? ) then I am open to most all recommendations.

Thanks
George

Krugwaffle

Postby Krugwaffle » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:21 pm

Well, there's a Holiday Inn right on the lake where the 431 bridge comes into Guntersville from Albertville. That puts you about 20 minutes from the park. There's the campgrounds right in the park. If you want camping, the park has it in abundance. There's sites to park an RV - with hookups and without - there's lots of campsites all around the park set up for tent and primitive camping. They used to rent RV's too but I think the state rounded them all up and used them in Katrina relief. Some rumor I heard somewhere.

I don't know if there's any of the chalets left up on top of the mountain. When some of the Glen-L party crew gets checked in and they find out how big the cabins are, they're liable to offer you the chance to stay with them for a share of the cost. There's plenty of room in the cabins for somebody to stretch out on the floor with a pallet or cot. I've seen as many as eight adults and five or six kids stay in one cabin for a long weekend. Can't imagine what they did for bath towels. There really is a lot of room, especially if you're used to sleeping in a sleeping bag. Don't plan on sleeping on the couch though. It was designed by a very sick mind and is unsuitable for even an afternoon nap.

There's other accomodations I'm not familiar with. There's a floating condo someone mentioned elsewhere in the forum. I've seen it but I didn't know what I was looking at. Little cabins floating on barges out on the lake. There's timeshare trailer parks scattered around the lakefront. If you have a membership in that sort of thing they should have available facilities. Our friends come over and stay at Little Mountain RV park to visit us from Decatur. It's real nice and right on the lake.

There's some bed and breakfasts around Guntersville and the surrounding area. North of the park, up near Scotsboro is a large highway intersection where Ft. Payne Highway 35 crosses John T. Reid Parkway 72. I'm pretty sure there's a couple different major chain hotels up there. I do know there's a genuine Western Sizzler up there with a buffet that will make your belly button pop out like a pot leg. That intersection is a little further from the park than necessary, though. At least 45-60 minute drive down a bunch of lumpy old patched up road. You're far better off staying in town than driving all that way.

I'm sure there's a lot more in the surrounding area but I've not scouted it yet. Check the Chamber Of Commerce websites or just do a search for the kind of place you'd like to stay. There's so many travel websites online now that they don't miss much.
Enough youth, now how 'bout a fountain of SMART!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:19 pm

Andy,

Thanks for picking this up.

We still have a spare room. But, I only have a 5% vote on its' use.

I also have some camping gear to that I might be able to bring.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:59 am

Things with me are still fairly fluid (but only when I move...get it? nevermind)
I have not completely nailed down my sleeping arangements. There is still a possibility that some of you guys can sleep with me.

My wife has to make a critical decision: visit my daughter in Hawaii for ten days, or accompany me to the Glen-L boat builders Gathering. (This decision could be a make or break marital decision...if she picks my daughter over me i will probably teach her a little lesson and shut her off for a while. When she finally notices that I have shut her off (might take eight or ten months) she will be so ticked off she will be sorry she didnt come with me !!! (Wait, that might be exactly what she is hoping for..I have to figure out some reverse phycololociky for this one.

Steve

Maybe I just dont talk to her for a few weeks..wait,, that won't work either.

Either way i should have a concrete answer by the end of today.

Smith Brother

Postby Smith Brother » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:32 pm

How old is this guy named STEVE anyway?

I heard he has FURNITURE desease, you know his chest fell down into his drawers.

I bet his bride can tell us a thing ot two, make that MILLIONS of things about him, FOR SURE. Wouldn't that be fun to hear. :o

Dale in Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

Bill E

Postby Bill E » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:48 pm

George,

Thanks for asking the question I was holding off asking until I had firmer plans. And Krugwaffle, what a thorough reply! Thanks to you, too!

As it turns out, I got an email last night about 12:30 (yes, I was online, too) from my buddy who had just gotten wifely permission to join me at the Gathering, so I guess we can bump me up from 90% to 100% sure. Hector (the crazy Cuban) and I will be boat-camping on my Catalina 22, assuming there's good anchorage near the festivities... can anyone answer that for me?

In theory, the boat *can* sleep 5, but that's split between a V-berth (me), the converted dinette (Hector), and a quarter berth (available). So if you or anyone else needs a last-minute bunk, I have one to offer. It may not be a king-sized Tempurpedic, but it's a place to rest your bones.

So, what about convenient anchorage?
Bill Eason -- Atlanta, GA
Got my Malahini plans Christmas 2007! (The book arrived Jan 3...)
Found the 1957 Thompson Sea Lancer Jan 9... :-/ Bought it Jan 21!

Krugwaffle

Postby Krugwaffle » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:49 pm

Sorry, I can't help you out with the exact info about anchorage. I've never actually been out on the water there. I have seen larger boats on the lake and I've seen guys pull up into slews and backwater areas and stay the night. There is a considerable amount of barge traffic to and from the grain mill in town and they travel at night so you'd definitely want to stay out of their way. Nothing like being woke up at 3 am to the sight of that really bright spotlight of a workboat shining in your porthole.

The park might have some info. It would seem like there would be some lake authority that would know. Who pulls you over when you're speeding on that lake? I don't think I've ever seen a marine partrol or whatever the freshwater equivalent is on that lake. I've seen channel markers so there's got to be somebody who maintains the waterway. They'd know where to anchor and what areas to avoid.
Enough youth, now how 'bout a fountain of SMART!

Boat Builder Newbie

Postby Boat Builder Newbie » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:58 am

Sorry for not responding earlier... I keep on forgetting to subscribe to my own threads! :oops:

I think I am going to do the Holiday Inn thing, mainly because things are so iffy with me that I don't want to make even tentative arrangements and then have to cancel.. or go back and forth with someon and not knowing for sure. [that and my back is sore just sitting here typing.. so camping is probably not in the picture :)

I'll do a search on this site now to get some specific info about where you guys are actually going to be.

I have already moved one conflict so I am down to two other things I am supposed to be doing that weekend... but it's looking better :)

Bill E

Postby Bill E » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:02 pm

Re: camping... You know what they say -- "Don't worry about getting a stiff back from sleeping all night on hard ground. NOBODY sleeps ALL night on hard ground!" :D
Bill Eason -- Atlanta, GA
Got my Malahini plans Christmas 2007! (The book arrived Jan 3...)
Found the 1957 Thompson Sea Lancer Jan 9... :-/ Bought it Jan 21!

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:02 am

Okay, I got THE WORD from THE WIFE. She has made the politically correct decision: she will neither go to Hawaii or to Guntersville !! She uttered something about being seen in public with me...not sure where she was
going with that one, so I let it slide. Clearly she took the threat of getting shut off very seriously !

So, BillE and others I will have a cabin to myself (I might bring my 26 year old daughter who looks like a model, and she suffers from long term memory loss so don't ask her alot of questions about our family because she can't remember alot of details...but she is very "clingy" she might be all huggy kissy with me, we are a close family..her name is Bambi.)

I also still have one of the chalets at the top of the hill reserved. Let me know if you want me to hang on to that. We could set up a regular bunk house !!

Steve

Boat Builder Newbie

Postby Boat Builder Newbie » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:55 am

If Bambi can bring her girlfriend Tiffany then I just might be able to get out of my other scheduling conflicts....

You guys are beginning to scare me with your humor!! Trust me... it's not often that I am the quiet and reserved one in a group!! :)

Smith Brother

Postby Smith Brother » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:27 am

Bambi, is she a TWO LEGGED dear, or a FOUR LEGGED deer?

Dale in Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:16 pm

There are plenty of the 4 legged type at Guntersville.. They'll do most anything for grapes.

:roll: Bill

Never Happened :shock:
Last edited by Bill Edmundson on Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Smith Brother

Postby Smith Brother » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:37 pm

Bill, it's G U N T E R "S" V I L L E. :P :lol:

Dale in Indy

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:00 pm

It might be "GRUNTERSVILLE" before we are done with the place !!

Steve

Return to “Gathering 2007”