Sugar Barge West Coast Rendezvous!

boat-bill-der

Sugar Barge West Coast Rendezvous!

Postby boat-bill-der » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:28 pm

Pictures from the west coast run...Couple good ones in there, but my videos turned out pretty crappy, sicne I accidentally had it on the lowest quality setting :oops:

Thanks Delta Dawg for setting it up, thw weather was perfect, great location, and it was great meeting everyone!

http://picasaweb.google.com/bill.levien/BoatLaunch

Last edited by boat-bill-der on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Adding just a couple of my (many) pics to Bills...

Bill's Saucer and Dawg's Wee Hunk

Rich Coey and his Monaco - this is one nice looking hunk of wood

Dawg and his Wee Hunk...

Finally me and my jet squirt - I got it completely put together late last night, and she wouldn't start - put a jumper on her in the driveway when I got home and she kicked right over - guess I should have taken Rich on on his offer for a jump...

And I had to add this one - a wooden gas powerer 1-lunger, wish I had taken some pics of the power plant - looked like about an 8" bore x 12 inch stroke - ran at about 60 (yeah 60!!!) rpm.

Here's Rich and his dad from the back cockpit of his Monaco (thanx for the ride, Rich)

And finally a couple of "under way" shots

Check out Brooke's big grin - this is why we build boats!

Like Bill said, thanks to Dawg for setting this up - we only had 4 boats, but we will have more next time. It was a ball...

TRM

boat-bill-der

Postby boat-bill-der » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:24 pm

Rich, I wish I had a better camcorder..It was a beautiful thing when you took off and left us in your wake...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwAcRf-v0w0
You can get an idea of how great it sounded, but the video just doesn't do it justice...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKbqBQDI314

Dawg, Pegasus also looks great in the water and is very nicely done.

Terry, I hate to say it "Told you so!" I should have kept pushing... It would have been great to see her run, but it was great that you made it anyway!

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:58 pm

Here is a link for some pictures and a string of video clips of the West Coast Rendezvous.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc18 ... endezvous/

Rich

boat-bill-der

Postby boat-bill-der » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:22 pm

Awesome!

I gotta get a better camera so I can return the favor and get better videos of other peoples boats. Sorry we didn't get anything better of you in action Rich.

BTW terry, I heard that "Coward" comment on the video which I didn't hear yesterday... :cry: haha...good times!

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:28 am

Rich,

Great video! I gotta get high speed internet - took just under an hour to download your 3 minute clip! Also, Antoinette says I can't start on a Monaco until I get the boat the kids want built (probably a Stilletto).

As I noted in my pictures, yes indeedie, the problem with the Squirt was just a flat battery. Still,I don't feel really bad about not jumping it, I really didn't want to screw something up if I had a bind in the drive train (and there was so little time after I got it back together on Saturday evening that I hadn't even bumped the starter!) When we got home, I climbed under the trailer and pulled the drive shaft around by hand a couple of times - when it showed free, I jumped it to the truck, and it kicked right over. I put the battery on the charger last night, and I'll probably try it without a jump this afternoon or tomorrow. Guess this shouldn't have surprized me, since the battery has been sitting there since early August!

Bill,

Glad you heard the "coward!" I figured you were going to hit that wake flat out and get some air time for the video. 'Course with your "lack of padding" temp upholstery, I guess I can understand :shock: Hey, off the wall thought: You are supposed to have a "throwable device" life preserver on the boat, and floating cushions count for this - they are pretty cheap, you might want to use your West Marine discout and grab a couple till you get the interior finished.

Peace,

TRM

DeltaDawg

Addendum, Mojo

Postby DeltaDawg » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:45 am

Bill, Terry, Rich, it was so nice to finally meet you, I had a great time. Thanks for sharing all
of the pictures. I love the movie Rich, I have been showing it over and over at the office, nice job.

At the link below are pictures from Audrey's camera, she got some good shots from the flybridge deck
of the restraunt and a funny movie of us checking out Mojo's power plant.

http://picasaweb.google.com/delta.hippo ... RRNouJWR3Y

Here is a link John sent me about Mojo, he is a neat guy and his boat has a lot of history.

http://stanleysteamers.com/mojo.htm

Thanks, Dawg

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:33 pm

It sounds like you guys had a great time, too!

Thanks for the pictures and videos.

That was the first time I've ever seen a Monaco "in motion".... This whole weekend has re-energized me for the final stages of my build.

(It looks like you guys did more boatin', and we did more eatin' and drinkin')
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:26 pm

Bruce,

We did indeed have a great time. The weather was perfect (well, it is California after all!) - temp in the low 80's (F) and water like greased glass. We did boat some, but we had a nice dutch treat lunch - no drinkin' at all though.

I've got to re-iterate that Rich's Monaco is simply drop-dead GORGEOUS. And it WAILS HONEY SOMETHING ELSE!!!

That's me and my wife Antoinette in the back seat in the first set of pictures, and here's a better shot:

Rich took us for one heck of a ride. That boat just jumps onto a plane, and the big 350 Chevy just howls out a war cry! Very smooth ride in the aft cockpit, although the leg room is a bit tight. What a hoot! I'm ready to start a-buildin', my little 550 Kawa just isn't the same as a SBC (and you can't fit one in a Squirt!!). But Antoinette tells me that I've committed to my daughter to build her a Stilletto, and I can't start a Monaco till then...

I've looked at a lot of the Gathering pics, and I haven't been able to figure out which boat is yours...any hints?

Peace,

TRM

BruceDow

Postby BruceDow » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:51 pm

Here's a picture from the current web-letter... If you haven't read it yet, it has a great set of photos and running commentary that really captures the "magic" of that weekend.

It is still just rough ply on the deck... I'll be taking that off to continue my fairing and floatation installation.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

terrymc

Postby terrymc » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:55 pm

Bruce,

Ah-ha, I did see one photo with a rought deck - that must have been you!

I didn't know that there was a new web letter out yet - I'll check it out...

TRM

Return to “Gathering 2007”