Gathering Report!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:05 pm

Bob,

Welcome to posting. Glad you came.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Bob,

Someting tells me I will more than make up for your absence !!!! ...It was great to meet you, you have a great boat. If I wasnt so afraid of water I would get a real boat and get out over my head !

Steve

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:45 pm

I too really enjoyed the Gathering. Nice to meet everyone and see some excellent projects. I hope it becomes a regular event. Guntersville is a great boating location and I enjoyed having the time to really explore the area from both the water and car. There is a fantistic view of the lake from the road leading to the lodge. The white dot on the right is a fairly decent size sail boat.

As Bob remarked we made a run to Chattanooga. I have covered this water many times but am still in awe of the natural beauty of the area. Here are a couple of photos of Bob that should give you a taste of the trip.

It did get down to about 40 degrees Monday night which we spent in our berths moored at the Chattanooga waterfront. It was a little cool but nothing for a couple hardcore boaters!

That's Bob being dwarfed by the mountains in the background. Truly a beautiful place to boat.

Ray

gregggrundon

Gathering

Postby gregggrundon » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:51 am

Congratulations,
to all of you who took the time and made the effort to get to Guntersville. the rest of us wish we had too. It was good to at least have pics. to put faces on the posts. I am very glad Dave and his wife could attend. I didn't hear or see any pictures of his invisible Zip. To Dale K. and family, We're all sorry you came so close and had such a bad experience. But, we are glad you're ok. It's just a car, right. Doing this project I've found you really have to be patient, keep going back to work. Even if it seems allot of times you're not getting anywhere. And I'm not building anything like the floating furniture allot of you have. It's inspiring to see how well it can be done. You people are really , I believe, a big part of being able keep working toward that next great (work of art) project. Kind of far away friends, who understand it's good to dream. And, you can make them come true.

Nice Job, Aloha,

Gregg
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)
Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:48 am

Only Bob could make that huge freaking boat look that freaking small !

Steve

gregggrundon

Small

Postby gregggrundon » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:35 am

Aw Steve,
You're just being modest. You make your boat look small too!
Jolly Roger 30'(Extended)

Marshall Islands, R. M. I.

Bill E

Postby Bill E » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:35 am

In Steve's case, I think it really is just the boat....
Bill Eason -- Atlanta, GA
Got my Malahini plans Christmas 2007! (The book arrived Jan 3...)
Found the 1957 Thompson Sea Lancer Jan 9... :-/ Bought it Jan 21!

Tom Drake

The Gathering

Postby Tom Drake » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:17 pm

I just wanted to drop in and tell all you guys what a great time Tina and I had at the Gathering.
For the records, I did see Dave Grason "Zipping" around the lake Saturday afternoon.
Best to you all,
Tom Drake

swidm

Postby swidm » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:46 pm

I have been remiss in checking in! I had a great time seeing all of the beautiful Glen-L boats and catching up with the different sailors I know including Jim and Joe from Ohio, the ones who drove Ken Castille's new Vacationer down. The winds were excellent friday and saturday for my little boat and I really appreciate Bruce and Hector treating me to a window-washing sail on the Catalina on Sunday. I will need to get my lifejacket back sometime though. Will call you Bruce.

Thanks to everyone for great food, company, and fun. Thanks especially for letting some non-Glen-L builders and sailors crash your stinkpot parade! :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:13 pm

It's just about boat building.

I'm glad you guts from other forums came. Great fun! Come again next time!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Smith Brother

Postby Smith Brother » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Bill, is it PROPER to call those that aren't GLEN-L boaters, GUTS. I'm still learning and just WONDERED. :P LOL
Dale in Indy

P.S. Wonder what they call us???????

Bill E

Postby Bill E » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:30 pm

swidm wrote:The winds were excellent friday and saturday for my little boat and I really appreciate Bruce and Hector treating me to a window-washing sail on the Catalina on Sunday. I will need to get my lifejacket back sometime though. Will call you Bruce.

You're right, Sunday was one of those days I couldn't just pull the Catalina home without letting her taste the wind a LITTLE bit! For Hector's first sailing trip, he took it pretty well, and we sure put him through the paces on a few of those puffs! Also -- you can call me Bruce, but I'd prefer you call me Bill. Or maybe I could call you Sam. :lol: :oops:

I hope you got your stuff back via Hector. Seems we had a good little contingent from Cobb County between you two and Leakcheck!

-wte

Mr Hot Rod

Postby Mr Hot Rod » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:51 pm

To all,

Been on holidays for the last week. No internet at home, so I'm just getting caught up . . .
Here's a few pics that I'd like to share :

Here’s when all the fun began – Leakcheck’s magic truck.

The Chicken Meister himself. Steve, Dave and John keeping the chicken (and thelselves) well-marinated.

Here’s a few pics of Jimmy70’s ‘Super Duper Spartan’. No way Barry was going to go for a ride in this one. Someone had to do it, so Mr. Hot Rod stepped up to the plate and rode shotgun. This thing is awesome ! Planes instantly, cruises at 30 MPH (1500 RPM) and handles like it’s on rails. No telling what the top end would be on smooth water ! Nice job, Jimmy !

Here’s a few photos of Tom Drake’s Zip. Inspiration for us all !

The Gathering was a blast. It was pleasure meeting all of you. Thanks to everyone who made it happen. Special thanks to Bruce Dow and his wife Anne for their gracious hospitality while I was in Toronto. It was a great ride !

It's much more than just building a boat . . .

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod

swidm

Postby swidm » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:43 pm

Whoops, sorry Bill! :oops: Just was thinking about a Bruce I work with and got confused. Happens sometimes! I will call Hector.

Bill E

Postby Bill E » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:00 pm

No problem, Sam... er... Scott. Call Hector for those things... just don't call ME Hector! :shock:

Thanks again for the help getting Humuhumu onto the trailer and road-ready! And check out http://www.dirace.com while you're at it!

-wte

Return to “Gathering 2007”