2008 Gathering

Fabricflyer

Post by Fabricflyer » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi All,
Couldn't make it last year....Would like to come and bring my Squirt. Will there be any rooms available for a couple? The room doesn't have to be at park. How far is the park from the town and are there rooms in town?Are there sites available for motorhomes?

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:14 am

The park is about 5 miles, as I'm trying to remember. There is a very nice campground right down near the water that is excellent for motorhomes complete with hookups. A number of the Gathering attendees this past fall stayed there.

Because of the number of people coming into town virtually every weekend out of the year, the town of G'ville has TONS of rooms. Nope, no shortage of places to stay.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

sanderson

Gathering 2008

Post by sanderson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:06 pm

I hope this gets to the right person. I will be attending the gathering. I should be at just the point in my Cracker Box project that I will be totally confused and will need all the help I can get! :roll:

kens

Re: Gathering 2008

Post by kens » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:25 pm

sanderson wrote:I hope this gets to the right person. I will be attending the gathering. I should be at just the point in my Cracker Box project that I will be totally confused and will need all the help I can get! :roll:
Well I hope you are not as rushed to launch as I was, but then, launching at the Gathering was a hoot. I hope you make it.
See you there!!

sanderson

Gathering

Post by sanderson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:34 pm

This project reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: Teddy Roosevelt said :"When asked if you know how to do something, say YES and then get about learning how to do it". when I told (asked) my wife about building a boat, she asked me if I knew how to do it........

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:35 pm

My wife asked one morning, "What are you going to do today?"

I said, "I'm going to lay tile downstairs."

"Do you know how?"

"I will tonight."

sanderson,

Arrangements are mostly up to each of us. Leakcheck has tied up a bunch of the cabins to be released to builders. The lodge has just reopened after renovation. Rooms in town are available.

If we do as last year, most activities will be at the Lakeside Cabin Pavilion in the park.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:11 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:....Leakcheck has tied up a bunch of the cabins to be released to builders.....
Ooops, doesn't that eliminate Steve?
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Bill E

Post by Bill E » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:46 am

That's so we'll have an impartial third party to distribute the cabins... :lol: :shock: :D

... I guess I'll be out in the cold now. :roll:
Bill Eason -- Atlanta, GA
Got my Malahini plans Christmas 2007! (The book arrived Jan 3...)
Found the 1957 Thompson Sea Lancer Jan 9... :-/ Bought it Jan 21!

Kicknbak

The Gathering

Post by Kicknbak » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:50 pm

Hmmm, I'm a newbie. And a Wannabe. Howdy! Have been watching for many years now, and enthused about building my own, and convinced of Glen-Ls site along with their products and support. Have been wishing & wanting, right along with many of the other posters on the site.

I found this string and decided this is the place I maybe should introduce myself, as I got thoroughly excited about the "Gathering" being held in Guntersville, AL.

Coincidence? Or a sign? As retirees, we have been trying to get clear of our home here and get a place over in or near Guntersville for quite awhile now. Then to find out that you wooden headed, wooden boat guys, who wooden be detered, meet there was a real charge to say the least.

Then I read to the end of the string... and it just sorta petered out... 3 weeks ago or so? What's with that? Does this mean that I have to go back and start my very own string? Or maybe... just maybe... ya'all saw me coming... right? Phew, I knew I shoulda hosed down a bit first.

Anyway... you guys sound as if you have a special thing going on here. A little more organization, and a little less ambition perhaps, or a moderate blend of the two would be really great. I would like to come... but still have not a ship, nor a shingle. Will be building the Tubby Tug Variatus, I think, when & if the time comes.

Perhaps I will have a couple rooms available out in the shed by fall 2008. Chuckle.

Don't let me down now... Roger

Oh yeah... thumbs up! Good to meet ya's!
Take the time to do it right....
Or have the time to do it over.

kens

Post by kens » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:21 pm

Kicknbak:
No, the thread isnt dead, just that nobody posted anything for awhile.
No, you do not HAVE to have a boat to attend. You are welcome to attend, you may even get some boatbuilding ideas, perhaps even a boatride.
See you there.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:24 pm

Roger,

Don't give up on us! :lol:

We'll pop in from time to time to keep this current. But, October is a long time to keep people pumped up.

:roll: When Lent is over I'll have to beg Leakcheck for a Lake Side Cabin :oops: . He tied up about 15 Cabins. The Lodge is now open again. Lots of options there.

BTW: I do know where you are. My dad was from Thayer MO.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Kicknbak

Post by Kicknbak » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:43 pm

Thanx for the "Backatcha" Bill.
Heckydarns, you know more about were I am than I do. To explain... I would have to look up Thayers, MO :oops:
We live in Golden, MO, down on the banks of Tablerock Lake, plumb near the AR border. We retired here from Littleton, CO 10 years ago. So hard, but not impossible, to boat in them ther' mountains. Have already caught all the fish this state has to offer, some of the twice. It's time to move on.

I agree about getting the hype up before the winters over... here at least. Did take the boat out of winter mothballs today however. 68 degs. Fired like now!

I don't know if I made my initial post in the right place... didn't really find much in the way of instructions, and pretty lax and lenient in the way of rules. Dontcha luvit? I've read about you all the way around this site... now gotta go back and see the ifs, what's and why's.

Thanks again Bill, Roger

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Roger,

Thayer is on the state line with Ark. midway across the state. Don't go out of your way to get there. :lol:

Lake of the Ozarks is beautiful. Trout fishin' is good on the White River. Well, it was 40 years ago. :wink:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Kicknbak

Post by Kicknbak » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:33 pm

Yep, went right to it on the map Bill. Was near Thayer a couple of times... two years ago we went round about to Poplar Bluff to buy our "Rowdy" dog. And last year we met all our kids and grandkids up at Montauk State Park for a week of frolic on the river, then came back the southern route to Norfork in AR for two weeks.

Spent two weeks on Lake of the Ozarks last fall... a little late, as it rained about 12 out of the 14 days there. We camped and enjoyed the rain on the MH roof, most of the time. Did some 4 wheeling... on what would have been regular roads, if it wasn't raining.

Rainbows & Browns on the White is still good, at least up stream from here below Beaver Lake Dam. For this part of the country anyway. Have fished Roaring River several times, just can't get used to rubbing elbows and crossing lines. To much, I like being out by myself and not seeing anyone else for days on end. Spoiled baby, me.

Where do you hail from? Or is there a place where I can click on your profile and "check ya out?"

Whoops, looks as if I already trashed this string huih? And it was my very first post too, dern it anyhow.

Ok, back to Guntersville now to save my skin. I saw where the "Gathering" was started there last year? Was it the first? I remember reading about it in the newletter, but did not have the interest then as we do now. Were you near the State Park? Or is there another resort area where you met?

Jabber on Rog,
Take care, Bill, roger

Kicknbak

Post by Kicknbak » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Whoops, sorry Kens. Almost missed your post completely. Just went back to recap and there it was. Oh yeah, always ready for a boat ride... was really hoping for an offer from that feller that crossed Lake MI in his Tubby Tug. Perhaps on the return trip. :roll:

Good to know the string is still going... and thanks for the shout. It will take me awhile to get used to the forum, but I can see where it might become addictive. (Once I get used to it and get to know some of you fellow seamen (maybe), craftsmen (for sure).

I have tons of questions... well, perhaps one or two anyway. I can get more involved once I get my plans and do further calculations. Like everyone else... my reasons for building my own are,... so I can have what I want. Now just to see if my expectations outweigh my abilities.

Thanks for the shout Kens, nice to know folks are listening. Roger

Return to “Gathering 2008”