Your Invited! October 25 & 26, 2008

Bill Edmundson

Your Invited! October 25 & 26, 2008

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:03 am

See The Gathering on the left side of the page!

October 24, 25 & 26
An Invitation!

Lake Guntersville State Park, Guntersville, Alabama, USA

Now that What, When and Where have been covered. There seem to be more questions. You can get a lot of answers by clicking on “the Gathering” above.

Now, some of the others:

Is this a sponsored event? No, we builders are making this up as we go! It’s our event.

Who’s invited? You are! We want to see other forum members. This includes past builders, current builders, wantabees, and just plain interested people. If you’re restoring a wooden boat, or have a wooden boat, or would like to have a wooden boat. Come On Down! (Sorry, we have metal builders also. They’re welcome too.)

Are wives invited? Well, that is between you and your wife. Mine plans to come.

Do I have to bring a boat? What if I’m not finished? No, you don’t have to bring a boat. “Finished”? I didn’t know a boat was ever finished. You just slow down working on it, put it in the water, and start using it. Bring it anyway. I’ve seen lots of “finished” boats. But, I can’t see what is covered up. There may be more to learn from an un-finished boat.

What if I’m not building a Glen-L design? I’m not either. Well, I wasn’t when we started this. I’m doing a Ken Hankinson design. We also had that question from Keith M, who is associated with Back Yard Yacht Builders (byyb.org). I told them come on. Guntersville is a big lake, 69,000 acres. I think it will handle all comers.

Are the Glen-L people welcome? Well, YES! And, anyone else that supports this hobby is welcome. But, I don’t think we want a bunch of local companies trying to make this a sales event.

Can I throw Leakcheck in the lake? Yes, it’s first come, first throw!

There are probably more questions. Put them in the forum, show your interest, we’ll try to answer, and then you come to “the Gathering”!

Bill Edmundson
Last edited by Bill Edmundson on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:13 am

Bill, Just a suggestion for this years Gathering.

Maybe we could raffle off for a chance to throw Leakcheck in the lake,or get a dunk tank & we could all get a shot at him!!!! :shock: :lol: :wink:

The proceeds could go to a local charity!!!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:29 am

Charity? :)

We could cover everybodies gas cost!
:lol:
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

FDMSIV

Postby FDMSIV » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:02 pm

Could someone give me a rundown of places to stay and cost.

So far I see there are cabins (how many in a cabin?) while they last and there is a campground. Anything else? How full/empty were the campgrounds last year?

One last thing, what about boat parking?

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:48 am

Here is the web site with some great info:

http://www.alapark.com/LakeGuntersville/

There is plenty of boat parking at the lodge (from what they told me) if you stay there, and if you stay at the camp ground I am sure you can leave your boat with us at the cabins as we will have all the cabins.

Someone told me there is a boat ramp right at the cabins, so we might be able to put some of the boats in there as well as down at the main ramp.

There should be no problem with parking at all.

Cabins have two bedroom and two bath separated by a big kitchen/dining/living area with decks.

Steve

gaffrig24

Postby gaffrig24 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:49 pm

I had a great time last year and I'm planning to be back again. My boat was welcomed by all even though it's not a glen-l. It's a great event for anyone who enjoys wooden boats, I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again in October.

Keith M
The klop, klop of water under the bows of a small boat will cure most troubles in this world.

Return to “Gathering 2008”