The Very BEST thing about the Gathering!!

Dave Grason

The Very BEST thing about the Gathering!!

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:20 pm

I think that on a subconscientous level, I've know this fact for a long time. But I had never put it into actually words before. But when I got home from the Gathering a few weeks ago, I knew why it had been so good. In fact, I knew why BOTH gatherings so far have been so good.

If you've been on this forum for very long, you've seen my sig line - "Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours."

This is NOT some cute line that I ran across that I thought would be cool to use. It actually expresses deeply the EXACT way that I feel and that's because I personally have been surrounded by naysayers ever since the first time I ever expressed the desire to build my own boat. Let's just say that a LOT of people have had a LOT of fun at my expense.

As some of you know, comming up to the Gathering this year, I was burning the midnight oil getting the Zip ready to paint and the trailer ready to carry her. I didn't make it for the Gathering, but the difference between now and just a few weeks before I started pulling all nighters is amazing. The project is REALLY looking good and many of my naysayers are really starting to have to bite their shorts. I've actually thought about naming the boat "Revenge" but then I decided to stay with "Sawdust."

So when I was comming back home this year and reflecting on all that went on, I realized that the very BEST part of the Gathering was that I spent my weekend with like minded people. Not one single person there ever said anything negative about my boatbuilding. WOW, what a breath of fresh air! I realized that ever last person that participated knows that I can build my boat. And each and every one of them was supportive.

When I thought of that, I realized that I really owe each of you a huge THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

My only regret is that I didn't get to take a good enough look at Dwayne Colton's model boat. Darn it! I really wanted to study it but there was so much to do.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

John K

Postby John K » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:21 am

Amen to what you said, Dave.

Lewis Barrett

Postby Lewis Barrett » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:53 am

Dave,

While reading your post this morning I felt myself grin a little. I've always been a person interested in a challenge. Some of the things I've done have worked out really well and some haven't. I've been in my current neighborhood for about 7 years now and some of my neigbors have moved, but most have stayed.

We have 3 types of neighbors:

First are the ones who could careless about any projects I may have going. I mean I could be building a nuclear reactor in my garage and they wouldn't even give it the first thought.

Second are the ones who are very supportive and come by from time to time and only make positive comments.

...and then there's the third type, which is really just 1 neighbor. A real A@@H*#@. Unfortunately their house faces my garage and they sit on their porch and stare at me while I'm working. They never come over and I've heard him say to one of my other neighbors laughing "I hope it don't sink if he ever finishes it".

Anyway, so when I got back from the Gathering I left my boat in my driveway all day just so he could look at it from his porch. :D

David

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:10 am

Lewis Barrett wrote:Anyway, so when I got back from the Gathering I left my boat in my driveway all day just so he could look at it from his porch. :D

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. GOOD FOR YOU! That's some funny stuff there.

A number of years ago, I came to a decision as to how to handle a jealous personality. When you first meet someone that has a very jealous nature, the best course of action is to try and anticipate that which might cause the "green monster" to raise its ugly head. So you walk on eggshells as a preventative measure. But that doesn't necessarily mean that you will be successful. Jealous people want to be jealous, they are going to be jealous no matter what you or I do. Also, jealous people NEVER admit that they are jealous. So the problem cannot be rectified as long as there is denial. So once the "green monster" has raised its ugly head, IMHO, the proper course of action is to totally reverse your tactics. You cannot put a stop to it at this point anyway. So be the opposite and do everything in your power to make the jealous person as absolutely jealous as possible. You can't be friends with a jealous person because you were never friends to begin with. So you lose nothing. But by making the jealous person even more jealous, you throw it all on him. He gets to stew in his own juices, so to speak. And he makes himself look silly in front of others.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Soloboat

Postby Soloboat » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:50 pm

I have not commented until now , this post by Dave has moved me to act .If I could distill my thoughts as far as the gathering the essence of it would be, I know all these people well enough to call them all friends but was a liittle bit surprised by the accent since only very few people post in an accent.Thanks all .
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:04 am

Soloboat wrote:I have not commented until now , this post by Dave has moved me to act .If I could distill my thoughts as far as the gathering the essence of it would be, I know all these people well enough to call them all friends but was a liittle bit surprised by the accent since only very few people post in an accent.Thanks all .

And we haven't even met the non-USA guys yet(except for the Canadian guys EH!)!!!! :shock: :wink: :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:18 am

Denzil,

One rule! There are no "Southern Accents" in the South! But, when we go somewhere else we seem to get one. :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:42 am

One thing is for certain about Southern accents. Anytime I go north, the folks I run into definately perceive my accent to be southern but when I'm here, folks ask why I don't sound like I'm from Tennessee.

Butch Barto

Postby Butch Barto » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:57 am

I injoyed it so much I wish the next Gathering wea next mounth.It is so cool to be with all the other builders.We could go through life and never meet another who has built or is building there own boat, I love seeing the boats under construction.I hope all of you are able to get your boats out on the water and use them as much as I do .See yall in 2009.

John K

Postby John K » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:29 pm

...and then there's the third type, which is really just 1 neighbor. A real A@@H*#@. Unfortunately their house faces my garage and they sit on their porch and stare at me while I'm working. They never come over and I've heard him say to one of my other neighbors laughing "I hope it don't sink if he ever finishes it".

You mean my neighbor lives by you. Guess there is one in every neighborhood.

I am with Butch. Cannot wait for next year. It was so much fun to be around people that like wood boats. Thinking about building another boat for 2010, but will be there for the 2009 gathering.

Tom Drake

Postby Tom Drake » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:43 am

Testing Tom's account...

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:30 pm

Trust me. Tom's account is NOT going to ever not work here. :)

If you ever try to log on and it won't go, immediately PM me or email me and I'll fix it ASAP.

Return to “Gathering 2008”